hermiemommy101408
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Lost Tip of Leg?

Post by hermiemommy101408 »

I recently noticed that Lilo lost one of her tips of her leg. I'm pretty sure that she did not come home like that I do not know exactly when this happened or how it happened. She gets around fine she walks sideways its only the tip not the whole leg. Is she going to be ok? and what can i do to help her? i hope she's not in any pain :'(
Wonderful Loving Parent to... 6 Hermies.... Chripy, (RIP)Skitty, Lilo, Noni, Fibber, & Jumbaliah--- 5 Dogs... Stitch, Wishbone, Kiki, Toby (RIP) Budwiser

My website is http://www.hermie-frenzy.webs.com
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Re: Lost Tip of Leg?

Post by Hermie's rule »

She'll be alright. :) When new hermies come home from the store, they need time to destress. Your little baby is probably stressed. You'll need to just leave her be and leave her alone for awhile. She should be fine. I've had hermies lose their whole limbs and still survive. *hugs hugs*
HR
hermiemommy101408
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30

Post by hermiemommy101408 »

thank you so much i was really worried -.-
Wonderful Loving Parent to... 6 Hermies.... Chripy, (RIP)Skitty, Lilo, Noni, Fibber, & Jumbaliah--- 5 Dogs... Stitch, Wishbone, Kiki, Toby (RIP) Budwiser

My website is http://www.hermie-frenzy.webs.com
bshannon90
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 18
Total tanks: 3

Post by bshannon90 »

My hermie has lost the tips of one leg, the tips of both claws and one whole leg. I bought said hermie from the boardwalk and it has a hole in it's shell. I bought this one 6 days ago and bought a buddy 3 days ago. They seem to get along alright, but I also have not been home often enough to know if they have been fighting. Actually I believe I just witnessed them fighting... I doubt they have been fighting over shells, however I do have a piece of coral that they both like to be on. I added another coral to the tank but I do not see them near that corner ever. Can someone please give me some advice?
bshannon90
Zygote
Zygote

Post by bshannon90 »

I have also been reading about pecking orders and it seems that my hermie with the missing pieces of limbs is dominant over the other hermie, is this ok to leave be? there has been no pincing that I have seen
Owner of Houdini and Archimedes
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Being you mentioned you're not there much of the time it is hard to know what is going on. Perhaps, were the tips of the one hermies leg and pinchers missing when you bought them?
If you're unsure as to whether they are being aggressive towards each other, you may want to consider separating them for a week or so until they get their fill of food and water and have a chance to try shells on.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
bshannon90
Zygote
Zygote

Post by bshannon90 »

When I got the hermie one tip was missing on the right claw, and that was it. It has also lost a leg, and the tip of the remaining right leg is gone as well as the tip of the left claw.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I realize this is a very old thread. That being said, sometime since August 11th, Rack lost the tip of his rear left walking leg. I have it in a picture on the 11th of August, and it was gone yesterday. Most of the pictures I have don't include leg tips (substrate in the way, or they're of his other side) so I'm not sure exactly when it happened.

I noticed it yesterday when I got him out to handle (trying to get them and me back used to it) and when I took a closer look, it was broken clean off (can see the circle on the tip where it was once attached). He compensates for the lack of holding ability on that leg well, but it's worrying.

I'm hoping that it wasn't somehow a fight between him and Benny. I think Benny wants the shell Rack's in (Benny's a fan of smooth, thin-walled turbos, including Tapestry, African, and pearlized ones...Rack's in a pearlized turbo) but Rack's so tiny in this shell that maybe he couldn't have an out-and-out shell fight, resulting in just the tip of the leg being broken off? Not sure. But, just to record it here for future benefit of someone else. It'll molt back easily, I'm sure...just gotta wait it out.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.