Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Gel buds

Post by Wai »

Ceres dropped two legs from his first moult. There is now a large gel bud (shaped like a leg) where one of the lost legs used to be, but there is no trace of a gel bud (or anything) whatsoever where the other lost leg used to be. Has anyone had a hermit crab drop two legs, but only have one visible gel bud and not for the other?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Gel buds

Post by ladybug15057 »

From the hermies we have adopted that were missing limbs as well as the couple mutilations during surprise molts in my main tank I cannot say all limbs didn't regenerate with their molt. However Wai if the gel 'limb' that you mentioned is a gel 'leg', if the gel limb has 'opened' and looks more like a leg (sticking out) this hermie is super close to a molt. Any discoloration to this gel limb shows how much closer he is to molting.
When I mention gel 'leg' and 'opened' I am meaning like Vanessa's Joy about 3/4 down this page compared to my Vanessa's gel limbs that are not opened on this picture. Also note the 'coloring' of the gel limbs. On my Vanessa they are clear-ish where as with Vanessa's Joy's leg is a brownish/orange-ish in coloring. Same as the coloring of my Yowie (named after the Aus. delicious chocolate figurine, YUM!)
This 'coloring' can take a couple days, or it can also happen overnight or in a couple of hours.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Now that I've had a better look at Ceres, the gel bud leg is still "stuck together", but there's still nothing at his other leg.

Marie, did the two gel buds of the missing legs for your hermit crabs grow at a similar rate, or did some grow faster than others?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

With Bubbles the one my daughter bought that was missing both rear walking legs they seemed to grow the same. With the 2 attacks on surprise surface molters in the main tank, seemed they grew the same as well. Other than that, I have no personal experience. I have read however that sometimes if there is a form of nerve damage it may take a couple molts for the gel limb to even form.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Perhaps there is some nerve damage at one of Ceres's legs. The gel bud for one of the legs is large and obvious, but there's nothing at all at his other missing leg still.
Wai
Daethian
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 30
Total gallons: 150
Total tanks: 2

Post by Daethian »

Wai I had an Indo that was missing a leg when purchased. Over the next several years and many molts it NEVER grew a gel limb and the leg never grew back.