jonny_o
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Need Help please!!!

Post by jonny_o »

I have 3 hermit crabs. 2 med/Lrg size hermits and one very small one. My 2 Larger ones are doing fine but it is the smaller one that I am worried about. I will give you as much info as possible for someone to offer any assistance. My smaller hermit (Sandy) was introduced to the tank 3 weeks ago. She seemed to be going great! Eating, bathing, playing quite well. Yesterday I noticed she was in her saltwater dish for longer than usual. (I have both fresh water and saltwater) She from what it looked like was almost coming out of her shell completely (in the saltwater). After her bathing she crawled from one end of the tank to the other and found a nice dark spot (her usual resting spot) and slept. The next morning I found her at the front of the tank with her body partially hanging out (no eyes or antenna visable) just her legs. When I tried to pick her up two of her legs fell off and is laying limp with no movement. Her color is not that of which has been described when molting. Her colors are bright and vibrant (oranges and purples). There are no signs of grey or ashey colors. There is no odor, atleast not yet. Can anyone offer any kind of information or help. It would be greatly appreciated Thank you
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Need Help please!!!

Post by emmac350 »

Is she in an ISO tank? If not, you need to get her away from any other crabs who could harm her.

Also, we need more information about your tank. What is the temperature and humidity level? What kind of substrate do you use? What kinds of food, and water treatments? Brands on everything?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Is her whole body loose and falling out of the shell? Are her eyes black or colourless? Is there an abdomen attached to the loose body?
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please answer the questions above. When a hermie molts, they do not need to be light or ashy all the time. The can also molt when their coloring is dark, or very vibrant as well.
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... Clyde-.jpg

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276 ... ked-In.jpg
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.