ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Regeneration of lost limbs

Post by ladybug15057 »

IMO this would depend to a degree but I would lean to yes it could be. It is known that gill damage is irreversible, so this is something that could cause the hermie to pass even a few months later when they attempted to molt. Sometimes if they have shell disease and not visible signs yet could also cause a passing.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Niko
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 35
Total gallons: 150
Total tanks: 4

Post by Niko »

emmac350 wrote:The picture is on the first post of the thread I linked to, Niko. :)
Thanks emmac, i've found it *|
Wai wrote:Can PPS affect hermit crabs for several months? Only Ceres and Quaoar (both from the same shocking pet store) had messy moults that resulted in limb loss and ultimately death. :(
These kind of diseases can affect other terrestrial arthropods for years, so i think that LHC can be affect too in the same way.
Niko.

To crab or not to crab.....crab!

My Board dedicated to LHC (in french) : http://coenobita.xooit.com/index.php
crypticlaman
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Post by crypticlaman »

I liken it to a person smoking myself. There is damage done but it heals with time. If too much damage is done however, it will show up eventually. I mean theyre suffocating in those places and eating toxins to stay alive.
callihan04
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 0

Post by callihan04 »

I am concerned about one of my crabs who lost a limb. How long does it take to grow back? Should it be treated with the tetracycline?
We just got it 2 weeks ago and I am sure it is stress related.
Tracy
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please do not use tetracycline on the hermie or in its shell. Tetracycline is harmful to hermies and known to be lethal to the already weakened hermie. If there is not any signs of infection where the leg is missing I would suggest to leave it be. Any messing with it may effect him being able to grow a healthy gel limb to regenerate that missing leg.
Being you just got him, please do read about Post purchase stress in the crab care section.
How long will it take to grow into a gel limb? Different hermies can grow gel limbs at different rates.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.