trockykitty
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

What is happening

Post by trockykitty »

I am new to Hermit Crab Care but have done a ton of research. I purchased my first 2 hermies over almost 2 months ago and when I did some research on line I noticed the tank I originally purchased for them was not the right tank so I went out and purchased a 15 gallon tank with the calci-sand and a humidty/temporature gadge. When I moved my hermies over they were happy and health. Then a week later I noticed one of my hermies was not moving and so I left him only to discover a few days later he had passed and lost his limbs when I picked him up. So out I went and purshased another hermie only to have the same fate. I do not understand what is happening as I still have one original health happy hermie and the temp and humidity is perfect in the tank. I also have a water dish for bathing as well as a food and water dish. I also feed them bananas and apples and strawberries. My latest hermie started to lose limbs before he passed. What am I doing wrong? I do not want to keep losing hermies but cannot have one lonely little hermie....Please help me I feel sick to my stomach that I keep losing these little guys!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: What is happening

Post by Wai »

Have you read our Crab Care section? Calci-Sand is a big no no, although I think your hermit crabs died due to other causes.

Please answer the following:

What is the volume of your main tank?

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?

What do you feed your hermit crabs?

Do you use distilled, bottled or tap water? If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer?

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank? If you are using an under tank heater, what is the temperature range of the substrate (it is likely to be different to the air temperature range)?

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Wai
trockykitty
Zygote
Zygote

Post by trockykitty »

Ok so I should have appparently done more research. I took the calci sand out of the tank a few weeks ago before getting my second :( hermie. I had purchased the coco fibre and was told at the pet store where I purchased the 2nd crab that the coco fibre was a no no, so I removed it. Now I read that I should be using it.....ahhhhh! Also the salt I am using is the HBH which I now read is brutal. The only problem I have is I live in a small town with one pet store to purchase these products which is PetSmart and if you ever dealt with them before you know they sell you anything and everything. The food I am feeding them is from the place I bought my Hermies, It is called 'Hermit the Crab' Deluxe crab food. So now what should I do, I will remove the sand immediately and replace with the coco fibre. I also have an under the tank heater that is on the one side of my tank as I have read they should have a side to cool off. My temperature in the tank is at optimal. I have a sea sponge in the tank as well. A climbing rock and a coco hut. I just have a day light that I use and turn it off at night. So any suggestions...I will also keep reading the info on this site. It is hard for new Crab keepers because all the information from different pet stores and different web sites contradict each other.
trockykitty
Zygote
Zygote

Post by trockykitty »

Sorry I now have 1 hermie and he is a medium sized crab in a 15g tank. I have been readimg more info on the website and now know what went wrong, some big changes will be taking place before I bring home a new friend for my hermie in the next few days....your website is fantastic. I just wish I had found it before the I lost 2 hermies :(
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Your welcome! I learnt things the hard way too like many others, so you're not alone.

I would get the Calsi-Sand out and put the coconut fibre in, but keep in mind that there is a tiny risk of pest invasions. However, coconut fibre is otherwise a good substrate like sand and holds in moisture quite well to keep the humidity levels up.

I've never heard of the brand of hermit crab food you mentioned, but there are safer alternatives out there for the same or even cheaper price. Have look around in organic food stores for some ideas. :)

Next time, you might want to ask us before you spend money on certain products, in case they aren't good.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Also make sure to feed your crab a larger variety of fresh foods, including meats that have been cooked without seasoning (you can do this by cutting a small bit off and microwaving it for 15 seconds before serving to the crabs) as well as shrimp either freeze dried (with no preservatives) or fresh, steamed shrimp with the exoskeleton, tail and legs still on. Just chop that up and put the rest in the freezer for later. They only need a small bit.
You will want to check this out: http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... =epicurean

That should help you with getting started on an all natural diet for your crabs with the nutrients they need.
An ocean salt water will be great for them, and you can expand your EE with it to minimize mold growth and pest invasions.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

This?
http://www.petdiscounters.com/Deluxe-He ... p3205.html

It has copper sulphate in it and doesn't really have anything in it that is beneficial to hermies. Please do change their diet ASAP.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
trockykitty
Zygote
Zygote

Post by trockykitty »

already done, any suggestions for food while on vacation for 2 days?