rjp_1986
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Can't find the dropped leg

Post by rjp_1986 »

My crab has dropped a leg but I cannot find it in the tank. I removed the large rock and took a plastic fork and raked through the first inch of sand while they were out exercising. I can't find it so should I look deeper or leave it be? Could they have eaten it? What are the possibilities of this tiny leg going missing? And he hasn't been buried since its gone missing.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Re: Can't find the dropped leg

Post by Gizaroo »

I would think he ate it if you can't find it anywhere. But I honestly don't know lol
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Can't find the dropped leg

Post by ladybug15057 »

He may not of burrowed, but another may of buried it. And depending on the others diet and how much chitin, protein and calcium they receive... there is the possibility that they could of eaten the leg too. If it was not an exo leg would the 'owner' of the leg of eaten it, no.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.