Is it possible for a hermie to grow back a leg after 1 molt?

Questions about unexpected problems.
Zombie(:
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 1

Is it possible for a hermie to grow back a leg after 1 molt?

Post by Zombie(: »

because my hermie lost his leg like literally 3 or 4 months ago lol
he recently molted and is almost done with eating his exoskeleton
i just noticed... he has all of his legs! i am PRETTY SURE one was missing lol i thought this took multipule molts...? is my hermit crab super man or am i seeing things? 8|

edit
ps, hes walking around all happy and alive now, and alls that left of his exo is his claw, they eat that too, right? i really wanna put him back in the tank -.- hes so aloneee in there
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Is it possible for a hermie to grow back a leg after 1 molt?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yes, they can grow the full leg back after one molt, but if you look closely, it may appear smaller than the other legs. :)
I had a crab who lost both claws and one walking leg, and after a 3 week molt, he had them all back, but his claws were SO CUTE because they were about 2/3 normal size. He was adorable, then molted again just a couple months later and grew HUGE. He is an Equadorian.

So yes, isn't it fascinating?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Zombie(:
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 5
Total tanks: 1

Re: Is it possible for a hermie to grow back a leg after 1 molt?

Post by Zombie(: »

yaaaaaay (: lol i put him back in the tank last night, i dont think hes even slept yet XD hes been runnin around the tank and climbing on everything like a mad crab LOL
and well to be honest i cant tell which one he lost :P he seems to be walking fine though :3