Happlegate11
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

New to this and so much conflicting info

Post by Happlegate11 »

So we came home with some new crabs two weeks ago from Florida to home. I asked lots of questions about caring for these guys and was give very bad info and finally did my research and got what I was told and read, the right stuff. Salt water and fresh water bowls, yes they have sponges in them but in clean then weekly, but you site is the first that said don't have them. They have sand and coconut fiber, a hide away, moss, a climbing stick. I have a heater that is attached to the tank and a light for day and night (as Michigan is cold) to keep the temperate up. I mist the tank and finally got a humidity gaudge. Well today one of the crabs didn't look right he was kind of not tucked in tight like normal so I went to pick him up and his claw and leg fell off. I'm worried he's dead but also read he could be molting. I've done nothing but stress that we are going to kill these poor guys and have been doing everything I can to give them the right environment. I'm so lost from all the conflicting info and just want to right for our hermit crabs. These guys are rather small and I have growth shells for them to move into. I've tried reading through the other posts but it become confusing after awhile. Am I a crab killer or could he just be molting?!?! HELP!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: New to this and so much conflicting info

Post by ladybug15057 »

First, welcome to HCP. Happy to hear you are researching the care of your hermies, and you are very correct that info can be confusing. This is because there is not one 100% way of keeping hermies, and a few successful ways crabbers have found to keep them healthy that also fit their life style.
I, and a few others use a dry aragonite sand substrate, some use damp cocofiber, some use eco earth, etc.
There is great info at:
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabcare/

and if you answer the questions at:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

We can help you more. The sponge is okay to use if you choose, but should have daily cleansing care due to bacteria reasons.
If a hermie is molting, most times the legs/pincher will be hollow, but sometimes during a stressful molt they can lose limbs too. Since your hermies are so new, you maybe witnessing PPS. (Post purchase stress) There are ways one can help the new hermies with this too, found in the care sheets.
No, you are not a killer, so relax. It is sadly sometimes part of the care learning process.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Happlegate11
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by Happlegate11 »

Thank you ladybug15057!

Both my hermies have buried themselves and now I wait. I continue to do everything like they are moving around, changing food, and changing cleaning sponges and salt and fresh water and misting to keep the humidity up (holy cow that's a constant process!). I'm hoping after all my sleepless stress and giving them a more proper crabitate has helped them not be as stressed and are molting now. I have numerous size shells for them to move too as they please. I didn't move them to an isolation tank as they were just moved into this one and was already worried about stressing them and they both buried themselves at the same time. Well I take that back my one that could have PPS tried to bury in a spot where I hadn't put enough substrate so I just put some moss and substrate over him (loose) I keep checking for that "smell" but I have not smells but moist substrate. Fingers crossed!
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Putting more things in your tank will help keep the humidity up without constant misting. I've also found that coconut fiber holds humidity better than sand overall. What all do you have in your tank?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.