galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 80
Total tanks: 3

Antennas not moving!

Post by galletagirl »

i've had my new crab for about a week. the other 2 new ones died :( the one i still have is from the same pet shop. two of the new ones have buried >_< (i didn't read that the sand should be shallow when they first arrive. hope they're ok.) but the one on the surface is big and he moves slow. he sits in the same position day after day. i make sure to dip him in salt water and fresh water and put him in the food dish so he stays alive. his eyes are dull. his antennas never move. ever. he doesn't move unless i move him or touch him. sigh, i hope he'll be ok. any help is appreciated. :]
THE "EARTH" WITHOUT "ART" IS JUST "EH."
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Antennas not moving!

Post by ladybug15057 »

Considering he is new, I would suggest not to continue to dip him in the water or put him in the food dish. It is highly recommended with new hermies not to handle them unless it is an extreme emergency due to causing them any further stress than they have already experienced or are under.
Depending, he may also be in premolt and handling will also do more harm then good at this time. In case he does molt be prepared with a cut 2 liter soda bottle or a glass from a picture frame.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote

Post by galletagirl »

ok, i'll stop dipping him in the water and putting him in the food dish. i'm just worried. but thanks.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is understandable for one to be concerned, but we must give our hermies the space they need to de-stress from all they have been through. If it is close enough and you are providing for him, he should be able to get to what he needs. It is hard, it is human instinct to try to help.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote

Post by galletagirl »

thank you! i'm super concerned about him. butttt i went in the room a couple minutes ago and he was in the food dish eating! but then i scared him....and now he's in his shell *| i guess he's fine! lol
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

To help ease some of the stress, have you been talking softly when you enter the room? Eventually he should relate the vibrations of your voice to meaning him no harm. Not sure where your food dish is located, but maybe put something small on the outside of the tank where the food is shadowed and if you pass by for now will not create a shadow to cause him any possible stress? (something that will not effect night/day cycle)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote

Post by galletagirl »

he died this morning :( but i do talk to my hermit crabs. and i leave a radio on for them lol. i don't know if that helps. yea, so 3 of the 5 new ones i bought have died. two are burrowed under the sand still alive. PPS stinks :( thanks for your help :)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I am sorry to hear he has passed. May I ask why you leave a radio on for them? In the wild there isn't really any music or constant human talking? (It would be totally different vibrations than what they are use to) When molting it is recommended to keep things quiet so not to disturb them. And IMO the constant music or talking may all prevent them from de-stressing to a degree?
Sympathies,
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

galletagirl
Zygote
Zygote

Post by galletagirl »

idk about the radio. we do it to my dog, so i thought maybe the crabs would like it too. but, i will turn it off. it wasn't loud at all. barely audible :] just a talk station to get them used to voices.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I've got filtered ponds and the air pump is a bit loud from the outside. I've got a small stool over it to help reflect the sound back down into the carpet, but I don't know how loud the crabbies in the tank hear the sound.
Wai