Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 1

Help!

Post by buckles »

Hi all,

I'm a self confessed newbie at this. I went and got a hermit crab abd cheap setu a few weeks ago.. and after one night i felt guilty so got myself a start kit with 30L tank, het pad and have a mixture of substrate (crushed walnut shells - its hwat the pet store used and reccomended - mixed with coco fibre to hep humidity)

I have 3 crabs, 2 small and one medium.

The medium crab was lafargic in his new tank and not very active, as well as sitting in water. When I changed the substrate to the above mix he started to dig and hide inside ther hermie hut.. seeing these signs I put him in to the ISO tank just incase...

The other two crabs have been fairly active, climbed their toys etc the the other night they both quieteed down and werent to active so now im worried im doing somthing wrong.

Its is near winter here, but the tank tempreture has only just slightly gone under 70f.. hunidity fluctuates abit but is always at the minimum 70% to 100% (when it does get to high the lid comes off to immediately)

Do you guys have any ideas on whats going on are they just adjusting? (its only been 2 weeks) are they about to moult?..

I will admit when I got the crabs I was under prepared but I have done my reading now and am trying to mimic their natural condititons and any help is appreciated
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Help!

Post by ladybug15057 »

I see where in 2 of your other posts you asked about humidity and eating. But without a bit more info it is next to impossible for us to possibly help you. Please go to:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4

and copy the questions in the white box, paste them here and answer them with as much detail as you can.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Help!

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yes, please do as Ladybug (Marie) asks, that will help us a lot.

In my experience, crabs will be quite active in a new home (or will hide immediately) but then settle down after a bit.

The temp has dipped a bit too low if you don't have a warm end. 70*F is not bad if you have a warmer end for them to go to (closer to 80*F) but without that it is far too cool.

Post the rest of the info from the link Marie gave you and we can give you some good advice. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.