arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Rescued a large PP from Petco and he never eats

Post by arhoads »

I just rescued him three days ago. I bought him because I figured no one else would and he would definitely die, he's large and has leg segment missing. The conditions at Petco weren't too bad, large terrarium with eco earth, two water dishes, climbing stuff and food.( Petland on the other hand just has them ina rubbermaid tub with a shallow water dish and metal webbing to climb on.) ANyway, I brought Uther home and the first day he sat in the saltwater dish for hours. NOw he sits by the fresh water and never moves except the bare minimum he has to in order to drink. He never moves his antenna and barely reacts to stimulus. Also he's in a magpie shell that's way too small but I don't have anohter magpie, do you think he would move into a turbo or mountain snail shell instead? I'm worried he's dying since the other two crabs that I bought at Petland the same day are perfectly healthy and changing shells like crazy and my origional crabs that were already in the tank are fine as well
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Re: Rescued a large PP from Petco and he never eats

Post by arhoads »

lect all
What is the volume of your main tank?
50 gallons

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
6 ; 1 small E, 1 large strawberry, 3 medium PP and the large PP in question
How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
3 days

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
sand and eco earth

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
fresh fruits and veggies, cuttlebone, shrimp, crickets, pecans, sunflower seeds (unsalted), oak and maple leaves, too much to list really

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
spring water

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
API

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
instant ocean

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
undertank plus heat light when necessary
Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
yes

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
air temp is 78, humidity is 75

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

NO ideas anyone? I haven't seen him drink at all in 24 hours. I had to clean the tank a bit today because it smelled for some reason, something got burried apparently. I put him in his own little container while I did so , he moved just a little to pull himself in more but that's it. Never even moved at all when I returned him to the tank.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

I would just leave them. Crabs kinda like other animals, it takes them a while to settle in. He will eventually eat and drink - just give him time :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by arhoads »

thanks,he seems to be moving a little bit more this morning. He stays by the water dish but at least he moves around in that area.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Good :) He may still have a fear of his new home. he get better, trust me :D
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

May I suggest being a little leery about feeding crickets to your hermies? Please read what Bugboy (Entomologist) shared:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cricket+Virus
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I just want to mention that although the virus is specific for crickets, viruses lack the rigorous DNA proof-reading processes that people have to help prevent mutations and cancer. This theoretically (not necessarily true) could mean that the virus could mutate to start affecting crustaceans or even people.
Wai