Thesaddestpanda
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Crabs Always Hiding Even After Months in a Good Setup

Post by Thesaddestpanda »

I have had crabs for six months now and they have never been active. I have always assumed it was because my setup was not up to par. I started with three small crabs in a ten gallon with no heat, poor humidity, and no pools. I have since upgraded to five small crabs in a 29 gallon with the works. 6 inches of substrate which is a 1:5 mix of eco earth and play-sand. Two deep bubbler pools with fresh and salt water, proper lights, heat lamps, chia sprouts, a large heat pad, moss pits, large pieces of mopani wood for climbing, lots of shells; basically all the things suggested for happy crabs. Humidity ranges from 70-80% and temperature is a stable 78 F. It has been two months since I got the new setup and the two new crabs, and my crabs are less active than they were before. The only thing I can thing of that may be messing with them is the food dish which has some rust on it, it is some sort of stone. I really need some help here because I love my crabs and I want to be able to see them and be sure they are happy. (Note, my hydrometer is broken in this picture and I have since replaced it)

https://imgur.com/a/hul6rCQ
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Crabs Always Hiding Even After Months in a Good Setup

Post by Wai »

They may have simply settled in; continue to observe them for the next few months. Alternatively you can try rearranging the tank to give them a new environment to explore.
Wai