CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: PP vs. E

Post by CrabbyJo »

Actually it didn't register in my pea brain this morning that you have a 20g lol.
I would say yes you have room for another PP.
Keep in mind though, as those PP's grow and eventually become jumbos, you will definitely want to upgrade them to a bigger home. It will take a few years, so you have time. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I went back and read through some of the postings and see where some of your info came from a book? I realize you're reading here which if reading the crab care section and the current posts the info is up to date with todays knowledge. (that the crab crew and some of the members) But would you please answer the questions below?

What is the volume of your main tank?

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?

What do you feed your hermit crabs?

Do you use distilled, bottled or tap water? If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer?

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank? If you are using an under tank heater, what is the temperature range of the substrate (it is likely to be different to the air temperature range)?

Edited to add: Thank you for updating your info, this helps a lot too!
Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by lilhoney42380 »

What is the volume of your main tank? 20g

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they? 3 golf ball sized crabs and 1 quarter sized crab.

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about? PP since July, E's since beginning of August.

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it? 6 in. of sand

What do you feed your hermit crabs? Fresh veggies, fruit, and non-seasoned meats.

Do you use distilled, bottled or tap water? If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines? I use tap water which I dechorlinate with the HGH hermit crab solution.

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water? HGH Hermit Crab salt.

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned? heat lamp positioned in hood of tank

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer? yes

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank? If you are using an under tank heater, what is the temperature range of the substrate (it is likely to be different to the air temperature range)? Temperature is normally around 76 and humidity is around 73%
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions.
How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about? PP since July, E's since beginning of August.
Ohhh, still almost newbies. Depending on what all they have been through since their capture it may take a little longer to destress from it.
Do you use distilled, bottled or tap water? If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines? I use tap water which I dechorlinate with the HGH hermit crab solution.
Possibly HBH? Please do attempt to get a regular tap water dechlorinator for fish if you use tap water. Such as API tap water conditioner:
API
What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water? HGH Hermit Crab salt.
Hermies need an ocean/sea mix sold specifically for salt water tanks to remain healthy.
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... r/salt.php

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank? If you are using an under tank heater, what is the temperature range of the substrate (it is likely to be different to the air temperature range)? Temperature is normally around 76 and humidity is around 73%
With this as an air temp, have you taken the substrate temp of both ends of the tank?
http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=69
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
lilhoney42380
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 20

Post by lilhoney42380 »

Yeah HBH is the one. I didn't have it in front of me at the time I was writing the post.

Is 76 an okay temp?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

As an almost middle temp of the substrate with it being closer to the warm side of 78-80*F, yes.
But the cool side 71-73F is a must too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Post by ZuZu »

this sounds like what happend between my crabs once two started to fight often when one tried grabbing the others shell i knew somthing was wrong and put the bullying crab in "time out" isolating him for a bit so he could calm down after that they were best of buds again. :)
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
Hermitcrablove12
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 4

Post by Hermitcrablove12 »

My E attacks my poor PP. She's defenseless. -.- They're starting to get better about it though.