Takua-Me
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 13
Total tanks: 2

Can crabs be terratorial?

Post by Takua-Me »

We'll my biggest crab Zeus has a favorite spot which is atop a part of a log. He dosent really like others going up there when hes there.And im just worried cuz another crab smaller then him, his names Timid, tried going up and Zeus got in his face and they had a feeler fight till Timid gave in and backed off. Is this normal behavior? i know i have a 10 gal which ill be upgrading to a 20 in a few weeks but im just worried cuz iv seen this type of behavior before. :S

What is the volume of your main tank?
10 gallons

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
Almost a month

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
Hermit Crab Sand from petco and Eco Earth (recently got some moss for a moss pit and draped it a few places) About 4-5 inches

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
Fruit, Veggis, Bread, A mix of things

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
bottled

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
Type that came with the hermit crab starter kit

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
type that came with the hermit crab starter kit

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
dual zoo med heat lamp on top of my screen top. UTH

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
I have a zoo meds flat stickable thermo and a round hydro

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
Temp between 70-89 Humidity 60-75

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
N/A

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
Yes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Can crabs be terratorial?

Post by Wai »

They can be, but as long as they aren't physically attacking each other, I wouldn't be too worried.
Wai
Takua-Me
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 13
Total tanks: 2

Post by Takua-Me »

ah ok thank you!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with Wai, and the more space have the better. Try to give each their own 'area' or even some form of secluded area of their own. 4 hermies for a 10 gal tank, how large are the hermies?
Please do get rid of the water and salt solution that came with the hermit crab kit. Buy a good grade ocean salt (can be found in the care sheets) and a declor if you are using any tap water because most do not address the chloramine in water.
What is the substrate temp if he is hanging out at the top of the tank where the heat is? 60% is too low for a variable in a humidity level. (should be at substrate level too where they normally will hang out. Temp should range between 70-80* F (a cooler side and warmer side to the tank and the substrate)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.