Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Crab will NOT move into shell after fight

Post by Ginger »

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this forum, and I think that I have a big problem somewhere in my crabitat that I don't know about!

I have 3 large crabs (a bit larger than golfball) and 3 small (20c coin, I have had the littlies for about 8 months, the big guys are fairly new). They are in a 160L (40g) tank where the biggest crabs can bury themselves up to 3 times their height (sand and coco fibre mixed). My humidity is always above 75%, and I don't monitor my tempurature because I consider our climate suitable for them. I have salt and fresh water pools (they can swim in the saltpool) I use the dechlorinater Prime and Red Sea Salt.They have a very large half-log as a hide and lots to climb on (resin and silk, with driftwood suitable for aquariums). My shells are suitable for the small crabs (they are ALWAYS changing!)

HOWEVER... my problem are large shells...

They pet-store I bought these big guys from were in horrible condition (dry calcium sand, UV light, no hide, smaller than a ten gallon, commercial food and fresh water that looked as if it hadn't been changed for days, and they have been quite letharigic the whole time I have had them so far (about 4 months).

I have been doing all I can for them, and they have been eating, drinking, digging and swimming however only one has been climbing. Shells are SO hard to find here, so I went to a shell shop and bought a whole bag of some that were similar to the ones they were currently wearing. I put in about 6 each week (they were boiled in salt water) but they have NEVER even glanced at them, I thought they would have at least picked them up by now :(

Two nights ago, my biggest most active crab grabbed another and stole his shell, so I immediately isolated the victim into an ice-cream container with some shells overnight in the main tank. I checked in the morning, but he hadnt moved, so I got out my 40L (10g) iso tank, spread out organic spaghum moss, and put out as many shells as possible and a kidney dish of fresh water. He has been in there for 1 full day now, but he hasn't touched any shells despite my efforts to slide him into one....

Any advice would be welcomed, not only for this crab but also any ideas for shells!!!
Much appreciated, Ginger.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Crab will NOT move into shell after fight

Post by ladybug15057 »

Couple questions:
When did you calibrate your humidity gauge last?
Not knowing your ½ log, the ones sold here in the U.S, are made of pine. Is your log wooden or plastic?
Hopefully another crabber from Aus. Can assist you with where to find suitable shells.
Is the iso you are using regulated? Did you darken it to cut back on some of the stress? And sometimes the more we fuss over our hermies the more stressed they become. As hard as it is, sometimes it is best just to leave them be.
Even tropical climates should monitor the substrate temp for a warm and cooler side since hermies are cold blooded creatures. Good luck!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Hi, thank-you for replying so quickly :)

1. I calibrated my humidity gauge about 2 months ago... Should it be done more regularly?
2. My half-log is resin (plastic)
3. Yes, I hope someone could please help me....
4. The iso I am using is regulated, and yes it is darkened.
5. So, I should just leave him completely to himself now?
6. Ok, I will take your suggestion into account

QUESTION: Is there any particular food I should be feeding him in particular?

Thank-you again, Ginger. :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

The gauge should be fine then. Which state are you from? Aussie hermit crabs seem to like Phasianella shells the most; see if you can find them online. Leave the crab alone. What have you been feeding them?
Wai
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

I am from QLD, ok I will search those shells, thank-you. Yes, I will leave him alone. I abide by the 'Hermit Crab Food pyramid'. They will always get some meat, fruit, veggies, crushed oyster shell, their dry mix that I make up as well as a treat once per week such as a piece of unsalted popcorn.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I've only had mine change into two types of shells. These ones http://www.petdirectory.com.au/pet_imag ... b_Img1.jpg

that I bought online from http://crazycrabs.com.au

And the other type they like come from the bags of shells in the garden section at bunnings. They are not much to look at but the crabs love them.

They never look twice at anything else I've bought, especially light feeling shells.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thank-you appps for your information about shells, it was exactly what I needed :D I will try to order some Babylon and Phasianella shells soon. I have over 50 shells for my littlies, and they change CONSTANTLY, they love the Phasianellas, moon snail shells and turbos the most.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sounds like you're doing good in the food department too. Where as some meats are considered chitin not all are. Which/what chitin type foods are you offering? And please do keep check on your substrate temp as well as the air temp.

Edited to ask: Where is your humidity gauge located? left, middle right of the tank, top middle or substrate level?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

I'm not sure... but chitin is insects/crustaceans etc. right? I will list the foods that I commonly offer (apart from veggies and fruit), as I am not very familiar with the term; cooked chicken, cooked/raw beef, frozen cubes of brine shrimp, omnivore sinking pellet (meant for fish), nuts, egg, honey, bread crumbs (soaked first), plain bran flakes, chia seeds, cracked and washed sunflower seeds, raisins, dried dates and prunes etc.

My analogue humidity gauge is in the centre of the left wall (It should be noted that my tank is a new model released from Reptile One...
http://www.petdirectnz.co.nz/wp-content ... -600HT.jpg) The entire top in covered with a damp towel, and the side vent is left open for airflow. So I measure the humid side (my water bowls are also located here) opposed to the drier side.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

It maybe that the gauge is also reading partly from the water dishes. It is suggested if one has one gauge to put it in the center of the tank at substrate level for a more central reading. During my first crabbing year I had our gauges more towards the top of the tank to find that the humidity level was much higher at the top of the tank as opposed to substrate level where our hermies spent majority of their time. (this was in the 10 gal we had)
Chitin is from a few things but hermies should be offered the exo's from is insects/crustaceans. To name a couple Shrimp and mealworms.

There are food here too, some with warnings:
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-listpages.php?initial=f
Marie (aka ladybug15057)