29 loses in 8 months.

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 46

29 loses in 8 months.

Post by iluvhermies »

Well I did a deep clean the other day and I did a head check and I did not realize now many I have lost since I moved to this house 8 months ago. It is quite sad. I now have 46 hermies. Here is a list of the ones I have lost since I did this deep clean and head count. They are from the oldest to newest that I have. Bear, Dopy, Happy, Sneezy, Stripper, Mr. Crabs, Pearl, Knuckles, Cooper, Hop-A-Long, PeeWee, Grace, Bob, Fred, Sammie, George, Cole, Nikki, Mickey, Misty, Marshmallow, Rosie, Caleigh, Austin, Brady, Tania, Lefty, Cosmo, and Hercules. I have never had the problems with bugs and mites than I have since I moved here. I have 4 more months til I get to move again. Yuk and Yeah. I think it is the side of town I have moved too. Lots of problems with bugs here.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Eddie*Maddie*London*Irwin*Miley*Oliver*Marianna*Dalton*
Chevin*Peeping Tom*April*Hannah*Peanut*Brandon*Brandi*
Autumn*Peyton*Zac*Corbin*Lilly*Rico*Queenie*Princess*Prince
Bruce*Cheese*Sharpay*Elmo*Chris
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: 29 loses in 8 months.

Post by Wai »

Sorry for your losses. :( I currently don't have any hermit crabs myself, but I will start crabbing again at the start of 2009 once I graduate from high school. The workload is very heavy, and I want the best for my hermit crabs, so I thought I'd take a break.

By the way, you can update on the number of hermit crabs you have in your profile.
Wai
Grammarcia
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 25

Post by Grammarcia »

That is just terrible and I'm so sorry for all your losses.

You say that mites did it. Were you able to successfully get rid of the mites, only to have them return again?

Did your little ones die while they were on the substrate rather than being burrowed down and/or moulting?

Again, I'm sorry, but it might be a good idea to post more info here so that someone may be able to isolate your problems and help you to figure out what caused all those deaths in such a short period of time.
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by iluvhermies »

Well some of them were buried and I found them dead. Others were on the top of the sand. I have been crabbing for 2 years now. I had lived in the same place til 8 months ago. I moved cause we lost our house we were buying. This side of town is not as nice as where we lived but this was the only place I could find in the short amount of time we had to move in. I am in the process of looking for a new place on the same side of town as before. Now that it is cold the bugs have gone away. I did clean and clean when I had the mites. Everything I tried did no good they came right back. I had not changed anything as far as sand or wood or anything. BTW thank you for your comforting words.
Big Daddy*Speedy*Doc*Spot*Sandy*Spongebob*Kolasas*Mrs. Puff*Larry*Gary*Joy*Liberty*Troy*Gabrielle*Ryan*Chelsea
Grammarcia
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 25

Post by Grammarcia »

There is a long list of questions regarding your tank conditions that may help you out. I don't know if its on this site or another one, but I don't know how to get to it.

Maybe someone out there can find it. I would be great for you to answer these questions so others can work with you to make sure your crabitat is in maximum shape.
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by iluvhermies »

I know what conditions I need to have and I do have them. I thank you I am sure it is just the place I am living in and I can not move til June.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

Wow. I'm sorry for all of your losses! Hope all of the others are doing fine. :)
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
iluvhermies
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by iluvhermies »

Yes everyone else seems to be doing great. Thanks.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

Awsome. Good to hear.
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
csw5
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Post by csw5 »

so sorry to hear about your crabs. i know it must have been upseting.