Not sure how but my poor crab is dead.

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
Krabber5544
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Not sure how but my poor crab is dead.

Post by Krabber5544 »

I lost my awesome crab Krabius (Pronounced Crab-us) about 2 months ago and I am still wondering how he died. He was perfectly fine when I bought him but then he began turn purple and I thought it was just a phase, but he became non-social and died several days later. Does anyone know how he died? HELP NEEDED!
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Not sure how but my poor crab is dead.

Post by Chermo »

No one knows why he died, probably PPS (post purchase syndrome). It is just something that happens because of being captured, put in big bags, shipped to petstores and living in horrible conditions until we bring them home to the correct conditions, it is just something that happens.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Chermo wrote:No one knows why he died, probably PPS (post purchase syndrome). It is just something that happens because of being captured, put in big bags, shipped to petstores and living in horrible conditions until we bring them home to the correct conditions, it is just something that happens.
I hear that alot, but it never occurs to me. 2 of my crabs where bought from a bin with no water food or substrate and I had to take a 15 hour drive home for them, then they lived in a kritter keeper for 1 month and finally have a great tank now but no deaths or even lost limbs so far. All my other crabs came form DECENT conditions and nothing bad has occured.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

erikleeson wrote:
Chermo wrote:No one knows why he died, probably PPS (post purchase syndrome). It is just something that happens because of being captured, put in big bags, shipped to petstores and living in horrible conditions until we bring them home to the correct conditions, it is just something that happens.
I hear that alot, but it never occurs to me. 2 of my crabs where bought from a bin with no water food or substrate and I had to take a 15 hour drive home for them, then they lived in a kritter keeper for 1 month and finally have a great tank now but no deaths or even lost limbs so far. All my other crabs came form DECENT conditions and nothing bad has occured.
My petsmart where I got my 3 from have good conditions, the temp and humidity are great the only thing I didn't like were they use gravel and commercial food. They have everything else they need though so mine are still good. My only thing is that Soupy is always down. She already molted and is not due to molt again soon since it has been a month and she is a small/medium. She never comes up. If I dig her up (I know that is a NO NO) she digs right back down without eatting or drinking anything. I don't get it. She must be shy and hates me or something for saving her life. She is Kermi's best friend and she is always down but if I bring her up she and Kermi play for a few minutes and then she goes back down, I can tell Kermi misses her but Kermi is getting use to Orangy so I am thinking Orangy and Kermi are becoming friends. Kermi was mean to Orangy when I got her but now they dig together and come out at night together. I even found them in the cocohut together.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009