Eugene, Spidey & Madam Web

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 104
Total tanks: 3

Eugene, Spidey & Madam Web

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

MadamWebEdit.jpg
SpideyEdit.jpg
eugene.JPG
We got Eugene about 2 years ago; in Colorado and sadly I didn't know then that he needed friends, nor did I know much about how to keep a hermit crab. I still feel really bad about it and after 2 years of my daughter still talking about him, we decided to give it another try.

In the last month, we have lost Spidey (no idea how or why as he went from fine to dead in a matter of days) and then Madam Web.

Although my kids are taking it well, my husband is very sad about it and feels that we may have taken her out of the tank prematurely and therefore.....killed her by putting her outside to wait for her funeral.

I don't like it when any animal dies in my care, and I will not remove another crab from the tank until I am sure they have passed.

RIP Spidey, Eugene & Madam Web, may you roam the tropical jungles in heaven with all the goodies you can eat.

**I think I figured out how to attach pictures to this, so if it works you can see my 3 who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned

Re: Eugene, Spidey & Madam Web

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

Sadly, we have now lost Princess-chu as well. The last I knew she was alive was her bath night-March 15th. She buried that night and wasn't seen again until I dug her up this afternoon.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

mamaturtle, I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. It can be pretty heartbreaking. :(

Not to jab at an open wound, but can I ask why you dug up Princess-chu?
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

Sorry, I didn't get a notification, so only just realized you'd asked me a question. :P

Well, I guess I worded it wrong when I said "dug up", as she was less than 2 inches down. (I have heard now that Indos don't bury very deep to molt, so that may be a bit of an explanation) When I had moved around some of the climbing wood previously, was when I found Larry Jordan finishing his molt. I happened to see the very end of Princess's shell (it was pointy & yellow), so I knew where she was. That already had me worried that they were so close together (thus my question about cannibalism under ground). As soon as LJ came out of the hole, Godzilla went in there. 'Zilla is probably 4 times Princess' size and a bit of a bully. (Don't get me wrong, he doesn't act aggressively or anything, but he did scoop Pika out of her spot once and roll her out of the way and he's the worst about climbing on top of others,hh) I also noticed that after those two came out, there was no new "window" (or as I call it-chimney hole,hh).

So....the short answer (too late now,hh) is I uncovered her because I already had the feeling that she was dead and I didn't want to encourage any cannibalism or take the chance that it was something that could hurt the others. My tank is pretty small, so it's pretty easy to keep an eye on everyone, even with the substrate.

I didn't attach a pic of her because I get annoyed trying to fix the size, but you can see her on my page 8) if you join. I made the pics and journals private to the public for obvious reasons. ;)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

You can link to your Photobucket or Imageshack pics, can't you?
Wai
mamaturtle2000
Banned
Banned

Post by mamaturtle2000 »

I'm not even sure about that, but find it easier when I can post them directly, no size adjustments & I can pic which pics as opposed to how I have ALL my crabbie pics in my photobucket album.