To Kali IV

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
Carrie
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 1

To Kali IV

Post by Carrie »

My KaliCrab, the one who started it all. I loved watching you eat and grow and change shells. You were the most trusting crab I've ever had--almost human, in the way you'd pinch other people who'd pick you up... I saw you molt twice, in my hand... and I can't count the times I held you while you changed shells. I've never had another little one like you.

I started looking for info online in 2000 to try to save Kali IV, a medium-sized crab ready for her first molt w/ me, in February, the dead of winter. She was acting so miserable... and I went out and changed the entire tank based on what I saw online. She survived that molt, but I had to hand-feed her and hold her shell up for her while she regained her strength, helping her walk, adding a little weight at a time. She later regrew the back leg lost in that molt, and changed into progressively smaller shells until she found a home she couldn't quite retract into. I like to think that was because she was more concerned about running and exploring and climbing than hiding and self-protection--she knew she was safe.

So many other crabs have benefitted from the lessons learned from her first molt... about half of my "charity-crab" rescuees that I bought after her death regrew lost legs and claws and are very healthy due to the knowledge gained from other online hermit crab people. They are looking at their first year anniversary coming up this spring.

I say thank you here to all those dedicated to sharing their knowledge online and (whether they've said it like this or not) committed to the quest for the "30-year hermit crab," the one (or ones, hopefully) who will live that long, or longer.

I know Kali IV gained an extra 2 1/2 years of life from my efforts (and the efforts of online crab-lovers). She was so happy, just living the crab life--good food, safe home, shells to play with, and a hand she could trust.

I miss you every day, Kali...

Kali IV
June 24, 2000 - May 2, 2003
Carrie
Dedicated to those who have gone before.