Whitey

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Whitey

Post by D'sCrabs »

We lost whitey today dunno what happen, he came up from a molt about 6 days ago was active n seem to be doing fine. Then this morning he was naked in his food bowl. Came home to check on him at lunch and he was gone.. I know I've only had crabs 4 months but I hope this wasnt my fault.

Buried him, It was sad.. I dug the hole my child picked wild flowers to line the hole put his favorite clam shell with him in it, then more flowers then covered the hole.
D'sCrabs
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 12
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 3

Re: Whitey

Post by D'sCrabs »

I figured out what killed my crab a few minutes ago wanted to warn everyone else. I had bought a very small ceramic bowl type thing. its kinna like one you'd put paste type dips or cavier in. Was using it for a food dish the night whitey died was the first night Ive use it. Tonight I watch another crab struggling to get out of it after a few minutes I moved the crab out and trashed the container.. whitey was naked the morning he died, his shell was in that stupid bowl. He died struggling to get out that bowl, had to ditch his shell just to make it out onto the sand the stress was to much.. Its my fault hes dead..No more glass or ceramic bowls for my tank only plastic hermit crab approved bowls..
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Whitey

Post by ladybug15057 »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, but accidents do happen. Glass and even some plastics can be tricky for them to get out of.
Sympathies,
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.