Crab Kate

This is the place to send a tribute for your departed hermies.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Crab Kate

Post by ladybug15057 »

It is with deepest sympathies I am posting a link for reading about Crab Kate:

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... 4&forum=13

:'(
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

sad sad day :(

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

I saw a very sad tweet made by crab street journal "Sad, sad day in the hermit crab community. Crab Kate, after 35+ years with Carol Ormes, passed away unexpectedly. is.gd/rmTLDo
Seesmic twhirl • 10/24/11 9:08 PM"
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Re: Crab Kate

Post by ladybug15057 »

Definitely a sad day, and more info at the link in my first post. There is also a tribute to CrabKate on the home page of Crab Street Journal.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Oh no, RIP Kate! From what I remember though, wasn't Kate a male hermit crab anyway?

On the bright side though, there is no better way to die than of old age.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

The sex is up in the air sort of. Once upon a time Carol (like many of us) named her hermies by the hairy leg method. Then the gonopore (sp) knowledge came out and she thought they were both girls, then a girl and a boy, and then boys, etc.
Now this is not to say this is what happened with Jon or Kate, but some hermies (rugs so far) are known to be able to change sexes after molting.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I didn't think rugs could change their gender after moulting, but two rugs mentioned in a study had gonopores on their third and fifth set of legs, but were still functionally male.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Thank you Marie. A truly sad day. :( Carol and Jon and Kate inspired me so much when I got my own crabs. Thank you for sharing the information, and the links.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I believe CrabWorks, Jon, and Kate have inspired soooo many in the crabbing community. Many are devastated by the passing of Crab Kate. I still remember what Carol had written to me back in about the end of 2001 or was it early 2002?
"What are you going to do if all the crabs you and your daughters are buying live as long as Jon and Kate?" At the time I assumed Carol was one of a kind, (which she is), and I would not have to even worry about such a thing...that was 11+ years ago!
When I first got a computer here at home and had our first emergency, it was Carol who answered my cry for help.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 20

Post by babesbarn »

Wow, I saw this and really feel so bad for Carol. Thanks for the link and also for all the great topics that have helped me keep my little crabbies going for over a year now. :'( RIP