Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Re: Blu has a hole on his back?

Post by Gizaroo »

I gave Blu a salt bath today, and while he was out took a couple of pics. You can see the hole in one pic, and the other shows that his claw tips were cut off :( I was looking at him closely today, and he is quite furry still. He even has beautiful eyelashes :) He's becoming much more social as well.

hole: http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... _00252.jpg
nail tips: http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... _00282.jpg :(
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

What is being referred to looks like a rub mark and should regenerate when he molts, but may still be lighter for a couple molts.
This poor hermies leg tips looks as though he was holding on and the poachers were impatient and snipped the ends of his legs off as opposed to waiting for him to let go. >] :'( I realize you mention you have other shells, but goodness does this little one need to change shells BAD!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I know!! I keep putting new shells in and switching them out... But to no avail! He is one stubborn lil dude( or gal)

It's a rub mark? On him it actually looks like a hole ... You can see into it.

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

On the picture it does look like a rub mark to me, and some can be rubbed quite deep. But seeing first hand is better. As opposed to bathing once a week, in attempt to help keep it clean you can also use a dropper and put a drop of ocean/sea water on that spot. But please do not dig him up to do this if he would happen to burrow.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Oh I wouldn't. Don't worry. And I tried the dropper first... He was scared of it coming anywhere near him so I wasn't able to do it that way.

Can't wait til he gets rid of that awful shell and molts and gets his leg tips back. :( poor thing

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85

Post by CrabbyJo »

Gizaroo2, if you could get the help of another person, perhaps one of you could hold Blu in the air and when he comes out (as they do because they feel the need to grab hold of something) hold your fingers under him so he can grab your finger, and his back should be exposed and the other person could approach from behind and put the drops on? Just an idea. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I'll have to give that a shot CrabbyJo...if my sister will help me out. She likes the little crabs..but is kind of timid of the bigger ones haha!

Just put about 8 new shells, all different types, into Banjo and Blu's tank...Really hope he'll change. It's really crowded with that many in there right now though :S

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Due to the trauma some hermies go through when forced out of their natural shells into the painted ones they are very reluctant to give up their shell to try another on. Even though the shell is bad, it is the fear of loosing it again. Many will switch out usually if they are in an iso or such by themselves where there is no threat of another taking his/her shell while they shop.
If the area is open, it would be better to get ocean water on it daily, but bathing daily would be too often.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

It's pretty covered by his shell...only visible when he comes out really far. I figured bathing once a week (as long as he hasn't buried under) should suffice...and I'll try to put a drop of salt water on it as well once a day or so. (If he'll work with me)

Just to see if I could coax him to switch shells, I moved him into an ISO tank with a bunch of shells by himself for a few hours. Hopefully he'll be comfortable enough to switch. I'll move him back later tonight to the main tank with the shells regardless if he switches or not though. *crosses fingers*

The paint on the shell he has on has started to chip....I'm worried that either him or banjo are going to munch on the paint :S