Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Blu has a hole on his back?

Post by Gizaroo »

Hello all,

I took Blu out for a couple minutes today when I changed their water. (Banjo is bunkered down in the moss pit. I saw him this morning before I left for school on top of his cork wood. He's quite active. Im always seeing him in different areas of the tank lol)

Blu came way out of his shell (It's quite exaggerated since he's entirely too big for his shell) and I noticed he has what looks like a puncture mark on his carapace (not sure if that's the right word or not)...but it's in the middle of his back. He doesn't smell like it's rotting or anything. Should this be something I should be worried about? He's getting more and more active as the days go on, and is starting to come out of his shell more and more when I'm around now. Is this from him falling and hitting it on something? or what could have caused this? What should I do, if anything, to treat it?

Thanks! I'll try to get a pic next time he's out and about.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Blu has a hole on his back?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Are you sure it is a puncture as in is it definitely indented? Some hermies have been known to have 'rub' markings on their upper torso and thought to be from their shell rubbing against their back. (like some shoes will rub the back of ones heal but not quite make a blister?)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Yea it looked like a puncture... A small piece if his shell wasn't there. It looked as if maybe a claw, or the oyster shell bedding at the petstor might have pierced him? I'll definitely try to get a pic tomorrow if he'll cooperate. :(

If it truly is a puncture, will he die? Or is that something that molting can fix ?

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

If it's on one of the hard parts of his body (not the abdomen) it can be fixed with molting. My Nibs had a piece inexplicably missing from her big pincher that was fixed after her next molt - you can see it here. I got the medicinal bath from the Addiction store, made it, and bathed her once a day for a week. By the end of the week she was digging, and she molted two weeks after the bathing. You could just give Blu a daily bath in salt water to try to prevent infections in the hole until he molts if you're really worried.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100
Total tanks: 1

Post by Jadexox »

what is in the medical bath cause it costs like $30.00 for shipping grrrrrrrr
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

The bath contents might be confiscated by Australian customs, so it would be a risky transaction.
Wai
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

The medicinal bath is calendula petals, myrrh, dandelion root, and a few other things. Salt water is fairly antibacterial (think about how it stings cuts - it's cleaning them out) so it should do well enough. If you want to do the medicinal bath, maybe email Vicki and see what the ingredients are so you can try to make it on your own.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I'll probably do salt baths for him once a week. I was wondering if that would work. It looked pretty clean.

emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I would use fresh salt water (straight from your jug or whatever you use to mix it in) as opposed to dipping him into his water bowl. Crabs getting into the water bowl will get gunk in it, and there is a possibility of him catching something from that or from the other crabs being exposed to something he might have.

Mommy to:

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Oh yea. That's what I was planning to do