Compliments! A good pet store!

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Compliments! A good pet store!

Post by Salt and Pepper »

I know this is a place to vent, but I absoloutely love my Petco Store! They are fabulous! Most of the time they have fresh fruits and veggies, some times it's pellets though.. They have numerous large climb toys, hiding huts, Eco Earth Coconut Fiber, a UTH, Proper Humidity, a Hygrometer/Thermometer and majority are in natrual shells. They have 4 tanks- 3 In The Back of Natrual- Small, Medium, and Large and a large tank in front of a Larger cage with painted shells- with the same conditions but moss spread out everywhere. Their care guides at my store do also seem to have accurate and correct conditions! About molting, heating, and substrates! They do seem to know what they're doing- they reccomended a moss pit and/or Eco Earth coconut fiber and a UTH. They also have the cheapest that I've seen at any other Pet Store I've been to- Ranging 3.99 for a small natrual, 5.99 for a medium natrual, $7.99 for a large (though all of them are jumbo), and 6.99 for all painted-shells.
:D
http://www.petco.com/caresheets/inverte ... itCrab.pdf
Here's the care sheet which I find adequate, accept for Commercial Food.
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Compliments! A good pet store!

Post by emmac350 »

That is a decent care sheet, although completely changing your substrate monthly? Unnecessary. Bathing weekly? Unnecessary as long as your water bowls are deep enough to bathe in. Shallow water bowls? Awful idea. Other than that, it's decent. Doesn't mention how feeding enough meat will keep aggression down, though.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

For being a pet store care sheet this is really good. Most new crabbers buy either those ck'er or a 10 gal tank, neither of which is large enough for a pool large and deep enough for the hermies to bath themselves in.
I would like to make a suggestion...
All so often all cooperate receives are e-mails/phone calls about complaints about their stores. Rarely do they receive any compliments regarding a certain chain store. Why not write to their cooperate office with that stores ID (address, and on the sales receipt one will also find that stores ID number) and pass along the compliment? This sometimes also gives that stores employees the incentive to keep up the good care.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
katiemom2ash
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 1

Post by katiemom2ash »

I just had a recent Good! experince at a local chain in Ohio called Jack's Aquarium. I took my son in there to pick out another crab to add to our three. The worker showed us, and started to point out the painted shells but as soon as I said we don't believe in the cruelty behind them he said "Oh good!" Then started to ask about our set up, and I was surprised that he really knew what the crabs needed. I should have asked if he was a crabber or if it was just the training he got from the location. At anyrate, the set up at the store was nice and he really made sure we had our information.
Newly acquired: Shooter ( PP) and RJ ( PP)