I went to a PetSmart in Jackson TN

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
pattycake101
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 1

I went to a PetSmart in Jackson TN

Post by pattycake101 »

I went to PetSmart in Jackson TN and the tanks where SO sad! The where in a weird plastic tank like thing with NO top and a light boulb that made the tank have no shadows to rest in, no hiding places, there food and water dish where dirty and worse of all there was a hermie OUT of it shell that was to big and there where no shells that he could change into! The only thing that was good was that there where only two hermies in painted shells and that SOME HOW (even without the top) The heat and humidity was good. Oh and there was a log that they could climb on.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Re: I went to a PetSmart in Jackson TN

Post by krabby_katie »

Awww, poor things. :(
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
jmmc137
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by jmmc137 »

thats how some petcos in md r
ja'wuan's crabs=sam(^=^) dylan=] annie;>
In a better place=Larry
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

You should go see the Petsmart in Dothan, AL. Let's see...

1. Aquarium gravel - no sand :(
2. Dead jumbo crab in the front corner and dropped limbs all over
3. Painted shells that had chipped paint
4. No visible food bowl
5. No salt water
6. No room - several jumbos and a handful of small-medium crabs in about a foot by a foot of room (about 1/3 meter by 1/3 meter, I think, for those not from the US)

Grrrrr.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

My Petsmart here is really great. They've got gravel in the bottom of the tat. They have a waterfall inside the tat that creates lots of humidity and the crabs are very active. They feed the crabs stuff like lettuce etc. and the staff is very knowledgeable from what I've been able to tell about hermit crabs. The other two pet stores in town are atrocious. :S
Krabber5544
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Krabber5544 »

The pet shop in my town doesn't take care of their hermit crabs at all. They don't have sand; I'm not even sure they have any substrate at all, they have a sponge just sitting there (no water bowl), and the crabs don't have any lights, hiding places, or climbing toys. The only thing that's actually good about the tank their in is that they have FOOD. Other than that, everything sucks. Oh did I mention that the tank is a wire cage the size an adult's hand? I HATE THE WAY PEOPLE TREAT HERMIT CRABS!!! >[ >[ >[
*Krabber*Kradabra*Krabble*

Proud and happy owner of hermies,
Krabber5544
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by bobo »

That is so terrible >[
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I just called my Petsmart, asked what kind of crabs they had. After holding for half an hour, I was told "fancy shelled ones and plain shelled ones." I then asked if they had purple pinchers or brown ones, at which point she did at least know they were PPs.

Ugg. Unfortunately, the good store in town with a good setup still doesn't have crabs (supposedly coming in on Thursday), so if Z does die today, I'll have to go to that Petsmart. :(
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.