Lets all bombard....

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Re: Lets all bombard....

Post by bobo »

September 26, 2008

Hermit Crab care of Pet Smart
I was last in your store and noticed these conditions on September 25, 2008.

I would like to inform you that I was very put-off by your hermit crab cage setup. You are not taking the proper care of your hermit crabs, and so you will not sell as many. If you have nicer conditions, it will attract MORE CUSTOMERS and give your store MORE MONEY.

Here is a list of NECESSITIES that hermit crabs NEED:

1. Proper humidity, thoroughly misted before the store closes will be efficient.
2. Proper food that has been changed out daily, I would suggest, more than just pellets. When I went to your store, it was as dry as a dessert and there was ABSOLUTLEY no water or food! You could use fresh fruit or something better, but not having any in the cage is just ANIMAL ABUSE and causes costumers to think so.
3. The temperature should be 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit, if its gets any where below 70 degrees hermit crabs will die automatically.
4. I know that when I came the other day to your store there were limbs everywhere, so you might want to prevent the deaths (preferably) or clean them out so that your customers aren’t completely repulsed. People will buy more if they like the conditions, and the crabs aren’t dead.
5. Also, I know that you people at Pet Smart DON’T HAVE ENOUGH SUBSTRATE, so the hermit crabs can’t dig deep enough to molt. I know you don’t want them to go under to molt, because you want them to stay up for customers to see, but they will die causing less sales if they can’t go under or dig properly, so get substrate 2 inches deep, NOT GRAVEL OR SHAVINGS, it should either be play sand or forest bedding and change it about once a month, but remember, keep it moist.

These are the basic steps to help your store in that department, and I hope that you will choose to listen and not throw this letter aside, but I know that if you listen it will truly make Pet Smart better place for the people shopping and the animals.

i sent that to them and theyve greatly improved!! :D
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
roxanne
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Re: Lets all bombard....

Post by roxanne »

I think this is a great idea either through emails or letters to help inform store owners on what they can do to help there crabs be more comfortable pre sale, as i find when i verbalise my concerns that they fall on deaf ears... *|