I think someone may listen - I think I got through...

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

I think someone may listen - I think I got through...

Post by CrabbyJo »

So I'm telling the guy at Pet Zoo today that the crabs need regulated temps and humidity, that they live longer etc. and I'm telling him I may send a letter to the owner to suggest this, and he says sure go ahead, good idea - as a friendly employee should say to me.
Then I'm telling him that the crabs can live up to 30 years in captivity and his eyes got big, and I continue, saying some call them throwaway pets because they only live 6 months to a year... and the guy said in a completely different tone of voice, "yeah, I've actually used that term myself..." but I could see the wheels turning in his head that he was suddenly realizing maybe I had something to what I was saying..
He mentioned "we've had that thing for years" (referring to the crabitat) so I think I got one who's been there a while lol.
So my job has just begun! I explained that ALL the other pet stores in Anchorage have them in tanks with controlled humidity and temp.
They actually listened to me differently and encouraged me to write the owner in a completely different tone of voice this time. :)
Now to compose my letter! Tomorrow, when I'm not sleepy.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Re: I think someone may listen - I think I got through...

Post by HermieLove19 »

I hope they listen! Maybe the guy you talked to will sell the crabs differently than they used to. I caught someone at work buying a kritter keeper and gravel with a hermit crab kit. Definitely not enough to keep a hermie alive. I asked the girl at the register to tell the lady that she needs sand or eco earth and she said she couldn't really say anything because they bought the kit. It made me so upset. I don't think those people took a care sheet either because they would have read about temp humidity salt water fresh water and fresh food. -.- I guess I need to work on everyone a little more about hermie care.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn