Petsmart

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Jedi_Sena
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

Petsmart

Post by Jedi_Sena »

The Petsmart in my city had no gages, dry sand, and no lid. I made a complaint online. The response I got from the local store manager thanked me for being an advocate for hermit crabs. She apologized for having calci-sand in with the forrest bedding (which I thought very odd indeed, since that was not my complaint nor would it ever be). Then she told me that I had not seen the guages for the climber...yeah, right. She said they were regularly misting and therefore did not require a lid or wet substrate. I am not doing my shopping there as long as the conditions are less than ideal in the crab tank. At least I was able to make them stop and think. I guess you can't expect miracles from one email.
Find out more about Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food here:
http://hermitcrabfoodtrials.blogspot.com/
visit our hermit crab care site:
http://freewebs.com/crabotanicals/
buy our products at:
http://crabotanicals.etsy.com/ and https://society6.com/crabotanicals
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Petsmart

Post by Wai »

A few weeks ago, I sent an email to Pets Paradise asking for an ingredients list for their brand of hermit crab food (the bottle only says "60 g"). They still haven't replied.
Wai
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 2

Post by Sterwick »

It is law to list all the ingredients in our foods, why not pet foods?

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
MegCasey
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by MegCasey »

The PetSmart I went to recently to buy my hermies seemed pretty good - the tank was very humid, and there were lots of plants and things for the crabs to hide under (I couldn't even see any of them until the lady at the store moved the plants over). Most of the crabs seemed healthy and active, although there was a very small one which was unfortunately dead. My biggest complaints with their set-up was the shallow amount of substrate lining the tank floor, and most of the crabs had horrid painted shells. Worse yet, the crabs sporting the painted shells were classified as "Fancy Crabs", and were several dollars more expensive than the non-painted ones! The employee showing me the crabs did advise against buying a crab just for the shell, but nevertheless I was still disappointed that most of their crabs featured the obnoxious panted shells.
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Sterwick »

Hmm.. that's rather depressing... :(

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
MegCasey
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by MegCasey »

It is...I actually did end up buying one that had a painted shell, as it looked active and healthy, and he ended up switching to a much nicer, natural shell in the tank shortly after I brought him home. I was very happy to remove the painted shell from the tank for good!
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Sterwick »

That's great news! Good to hear it changed shells! :)

Stevo.