Pete's Pet Forum

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Pete's Pet Forum

Post by Gizaroo »

Oh my gosh! The last time I had been in this store they had significantly improved the hermies habitats. They were not ideal, but at least were better than they were before.

I went in there today to get some brine shrimp for my betta (I'm trying to fatten him up) and was looking for some driftwood too. This place generally has very good prices for it. As always, I browsed through the store looking at the different animals and their setups. I was disgusted when I went to look at the hermies...

They had very little food (they feed the pelleted diets...) and no water at all. The bowls were not even damp! There were dead hermit crabs everywhere...all shapes and sizes. Limbs were scattered about all over the place. There were bugs and maggots crawling all over the dead crabs, and the live crabs looked horrible, aside from a few Es that were very active. The tanks smelled to high heaven!

I then went to look at the reptiles..They mostly looked ok, but then I saw a big tortoise, at least 1 ft long, in a tank it could hardly turn around in! It had no food and barely any water.

I was so mad I couldn't even think as I got the few things I had picked up and left the store. (This store is the only place out of the 4 petstores we have that carries this food and brine shrimp)

I can't believe a place would take such poor care of all of its critters...don't even get me started on the fish or birds either! :@ :@
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Pete's Pet Forum

Post by Wai »

Wow, they're neglecting their other animals too? I'm never surprised with pet stores neglecting their hermit crabs, but the other animals too...
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Yea, the store just gets worse and worse it seems between each time of me going there.

One of the many dead hermies was a fairly good sized one...half dollar size in diameter shell. He/she was a big PP and was tightly pulled into it's shell (which was facing up) and there was a brown fluid oozing from around it and a whole bunch of maggots crawling on it.
Didn't look like they had had water or food for days. :(

What really got me was the tortoise not even having room to hardly turn around. He was in maybe a 30 gallon aquarium...
Their birds live in filth...I don't even dare go in the room with birds due to fear of picking up something on my clothing that I would bring home to my birds.
Their fish were eating each other, and the tanks are rarely clean. Most of the time I go in there, half of the fish have Ick.
Their tanks that they grow plants in to sell were so filled with algae you couldn't even make out what plants were alive...one tank was green, even with water circulation, and the plants were all dead. They had some fish in these tanks too!!

Their hamsters and kittens, and some of the reptiles, are usually fairly well taken care of, but everything else lives in horrid conditions.

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Did you attempt to speak to the manager/owner of the store? It is possible to get involved and attempt to change the conditions of all the creatures stuck in these horrid conditions.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

No, I was too mad at the time. I don't do well talking to people when I get that angry. All my points that I want to make just disappear and I end up feeling stupid lol.
I looked on their website for a place to email them, but all they have on there is a phone number and a place to leave your phone number and feedback. I also thought about writing a letter, but have no idea where to begin...especially since I want it to be professional.

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85

Post by CrabbyJo »

Then just begin, and plan to edit it. Getting your feelings out first helps a LOT when you want to get a point across in a professional manner that people will actually listen to. I applaud that you recognize the need to not be emotional in your correspondence with them. I have a lot of confidence that because you recognize this, you will do an excellent job getting your point across.

So start and just say EVERYTHING you are feeling, knowing you won't send it, but this will help you see what is needed for you to say, and will help you get out the emotional part and set that aside. It helps to have it outside you instead of swirling around in your head with what you want to say. Make sense?

I've used this technique in dealing with extremely emotional issues for me, and have managed to send something I was truly proud of after all the crap I worked out on paper.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree with CrabbyJo, except I use a document on the computer. (Don't get writers crap that way) ;)
Much easier to edit it too into something a little more civil....
I certainly agree not to talk to a manager/owner when upset, it sort of defeats the purpose.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I'll have to try to come up with something...Hopefully my parents can help me out. Thanks!

I left the place sick to my stomach almost and wishing I had a room that I could have rescued those poor E's that were alive and remaining (there were about 9 of them total). It was truly awful. Each time I go in there I leave disgusted at the care of one animal species or another.

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Seems they have a facebook page too?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petes-Pet ... 7542606740

167 Seminole Ct, Charlottesville, VA 22901
Hours
Mon - Sat: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sun: 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Pete's Pet Forum is Central Virginia's premiere pet destination.
Phone
(434) 974-7387
Website
http://www.petespetforum.org/

And:
http://local.yahoo.com/info-12754057-pe ... ottesville

Pete's Pet Forum

* (877) 783-1261
* Yellow Page Ad

167 Seminole Ct, Charlottesville, VA 22901 Get directions Cross Streets: Near the intersection of Seminole Ct and Zan Rd Neighborhood: The Meadows Charlottesville, VA

* petespetforum.org

Other Contact Info: Email: pdelis@petespetforum.com
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

Oh wow, I never even thought about checking Facebook for them.
Thanks!

This pet store used to be really nice about ten years ago...I bought my first betta fish from them. All their fish were super healthy and well taken care of...and from what I can remember, most of their animals were too. I think they changed managers years back, and thats when everything started going downhill.