New hermie, and possibly new care for Petsmarts crabs!

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

New hermie, and possibly new care for Petsmarts crabs!

Post by Gizaroo »

So, I went to petsmart yesterday to get a new filter for my boyfriends Dwarf Puffer tank. As usual, I went over to the hermies to look...I've been wanting a really tiny PP after seeing how cute the small Es I have are. I dug around in the tank a bit (with permission from the employees) and found the tiny one I was looking for. He wouldn't come out of his shell at all...none of them would...so I knew I was taking a gamble on if he had all his limbs or not. He's super shy, and in the ISO in the 10 gal right now.

Anyways, they were really busy, and the associate that came to help me is actually one of the pet care managers. I got to talking about hermies with her-she said they had been having a difficult time keeping them alive lately-and I pointed out that the cypress chips and mulch they have in there is actually an irritant to them and can eventually kill them, (among other things in the tank). I asked if she would like a great information sheet on their care (from this site!) and she said she'd love one! She said their staff didn't know that particular bedding was an irritant to them. I'm going to bring it in for her, and she is going to post it in the employee info book for all staff to read, as well as make it the Petsmart info of the month, so it will be available throughout the store for all customers to read as well!!

Score +1 for the hermies! :D I am ecstatic!
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: New hermie, and possibly new care for Petsmarts crabs!

Post by Wai »

Score for you! Such pet store workers are rare nowadays. Remind them that the care sheet has left out a lot of info though and that they might want to check our website for more info.
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

I'm going to print off a few of the crab care pages as well...to fill in for what the care sheet doesn't have. :)

But I am also going to direct them to visit our site for other info as well. :)

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Thank you for representing us! I'm sure you'll do well.

In the future I might make printable versions of the care section.
Wai
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V

Post by Gizaroo »

That would be awesome! :)

JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 10

Post by JennyHermit »

Great for you! You probably saved their lives! Congrats on the new hermie! Hope all goes well!
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
R.I.P, Chessnut! we miss you!!!
jennifer711983
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 10

Post by jennifer711983 »

The PetSmart near where I work is where I will be getting my new hermit crabs this week. I have checked out crabs in several locations and they are by far the best at handling their hermies. They still don't have proper substrate, but they have at least moved on to an all coconut fiber substrate instead of the gravel and stuff I used to see there. The tanks had temperature and humidity gauges and had multiple ponds of both salt water and fresh water as I found out when I asked the staff. They also had a nice selection of climbing and hiding toys and a huge variety of empty NON painted shells for them to choose from. All of the crabs there seemed to be doing pretty well too, they were all active and several were eating the food they had out, a mixture of crushed pellets and fresh veggies. So kudos to them for actually attempting to care for these adorable critters a little bit better.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Wow, thats awesome! :) Hearing stories like this is the reason why I continue to fight for these little guys - among others - as I know that one day a pet store may listen! :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.