Michaels Craft Store crab experience

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
sheldon the crab
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

Michaels Craft Store crab experience

Post by sheldon the crab »

I know this section is for pet store experiences, but I think this falls in line with the calousness and uncaring manner they handled my concern. About a year ago I had a very large crab in a huge turbo shell. I had had him for about 3 years and was noticing that he was outgrowing his shell and in fact the shell was rubbing his legs. I spent weeks on the internet trying to locate a bigger shell to no avail. One day I thought maybe Michaels would have big shells., as I know they do carry them. I was very excited to be able to find not just one, but 2 large shells which would be great for frank to move into!
I went to the cashier and she said a price didn't come uo and that was because they were a special price the previous week. She said I can't sell this to you and I explained that I badly needed it because of my crab and that he would be in dire straits and could die if his shell was to small and he couldnt go to a new one. I said give me a price I will pay whatever they wanted... She said sorry, took the shells and tossed them in a garbage container. I asked to speak to management and she said she was management. I left, and kept my eyes open to see if anyone locally had hermit crabs and if they had big shells maybe I could buy one. I was very attached to frankie, he was by far my biggest hermie. I did find someone who offered to take him because he had the size shell I would need but selling the shell to me wasnt an option with him, so I ended up giving frankie to him because I wanted to do what would be best for him. I wish at the time I had written the head office for Michaels, but didnt. This was a michaels where I live in Winnipeg Manitoba
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: Michaels Craft Store crab experience

Post by Wai »

That's really unfortunate that you had to give up Frankie. You must have been really desperate to resort to that. Was he really that huge that not even the internet had large enough shells for him? If you had asked me, I could have bought some from Gardenworld here (they sell huge shells) and sent them to you.
Wai
sheldon the crab
Zygote
Zygote

Yes the shell frank had was a very large turbo shell from beautyshells. Frank was bigger than the palm of my hand. I did try every online resource I could find. Thanks, it's very kind that you would have sent shells to me
sheldon the crab
Zygote
Zygote

I forgot to add, I had managed to find 2 shells for frank thru ebay and websites, but when I got the shells on was cracked and chipped and the other was very heavy. Frank did show interest at first but never used them. Neither beautishells or the one u mentioned were either of the ones i contacted by the way. I know both are reputable. At the time I did check the one u mentioned but theyy didn't have the size he needed. If I ever am lucky enough to have another big crab like frank, i will definately be on the lookout
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I'm not sure if Gardenworld has an online store, but I'm absolutely certain that their offline (err... regular?) store would have shells that fit your hermit crab.
Wai
sheldon the crab
Zygote
Zygote

Ok thank you, I will check that out to see if it's online