Sad :(

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
hermie_4_life
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total tanks: 1

Sad :(

Post by hermie_4_life »

I was going to buy a crab at the Petco close to my grandmother's house one day... I was excited,I was happy.But when i saw what condition there crabs were in I almost cried.The crabs had like a few sprinkles of sand and they all looked so scared.I ended up buying a big red crab named Tank who had a crack in his big pincher -.- . I just feel so bad for those crabs.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Sad :(

Post by emmac350 »

Could you share a picture of Tank and his claw? I'm curious as to his species and I've never seen a 'cracked' claw before.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Sad :(

Post by aussieJJDude »

Either he is a straw or a PP IMO.
I seen a cracked claw pic before and after a few moults they will go back to normal. Just don't be surprised if he starts moulting straight away.
I woul seriously think of writing this store a letter or email so they can clean up their act.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.