PET STORES

Report on pet stores that are either doing a great or terrible job of looking after their hermit crabs on display.
Beachdude2211
Zygote
Zygote

PET STORES

Post by Beachdude2211 »

i have mostly been getting then from little places by the beach...but do you think it is okay to buy hermit crabs from pet stores like petco, because i am thinking about getting some more, but i keep hearing such bad stories about what happens to them in pet stores, that i am hesitant to buy them from there, please answer...
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

i consider buying hermies from a chain store, a rescue. they aren't treated well there and i believe that they need good homes. so i say go for it! let us know!
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
Beachdude2211
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Beachdude2211 »

okay, i will, and ill post later to fill you in on what happened!
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

beach stores (the ones i have been too) are just as bad as pet stores. (wire cages, no water, no substrate). I guess it all depends on where your at.
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by krazykrablady »

I got mine from a petco... other than the wire top to the cage, the cage was kept quite well.. even w/ the wire top, they were managing to keep humidity and temp at the right level!
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

wish our petco kept their hermies like that. they have water but their ground is a really thin layer of bark. with some sticks. no huts or any where to hide.

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

i only have 2 okay ones. the humdity is low and stuff at both, but other than that it's pretty good.
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
coopsmom
Zygote
Zygote

Post by coopsmom »

I bought 2 new hermies yesterday and they were definitely being rescued from the the "new" petsmart in my area. They had no top to the aquarium they were in, they had rocks as substrate, and there were several dead ones in the 2 tanks. I am watching them closely as they are very shy, unlike my other 3. I have watched them tour their new home and they seem somewhat overwhelmed by all the places to hide, the fresh fruit and the substrate which they can actually dig in. I hope the do ok, if not at least I feel like they had a good home for a time.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

congrats! we always love to hear rescue stories. i hope they do well also, keep us updated! have you named them?

RIP:
coopsmom
Zygote
Zygote

Post by coopsmom »

The funniest thing about my crabs is that they dont get real names. I have names for them but the kids just call them by who's crab they are considered. The 2 new ones for now are just little one, and baby. I am more concerned about one than the other. The one I am most concerned about spent 1/2 an hour upside down yesterday, my other crabs never stay "upside down", he is very big for his shell but has yet to check out the empty ones in the tank. The other one has immediately headed underground, I check on him alot but for the most part I am leaving him be. I will keep you posted and let you know if they get official names.