emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Hermit Crab Exercise Places

Post by emmac350 »

This is mostly for Marie and CrabbyJo - I'm in the middle of setting up a rather large Rubbermaid container as an exercise area for my crabs. I would like to see pictures of your setups so I can see what exactly I need to do. I made a little climbing structure out of craft plastic mesh stuff and hemp (it's like a table; it was made out of one sheet of plastic) and I have a piece of grapevine stump and that's about it right now. I have five other sheets of craft plastic, but have run out of the creativity (and finger strength - pulling a needle threaded with hemp through the craft plastic so much takes its toll on you, haha) to go much farther.

Also, do you have food and water available for them when they're in it? Any hideys? Do you mist it or have a heat source nearby?

Anyways, thanks, and I'll let you know how everything starts to go with the exercise area. The crabs will be exercising while I'm studying for classes. :)
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Hermit Crab Exercise Places

Post by ladybug15057 »

One of the main secrets is keep the toys towards the center so they cannot drop outside of the container. Pictures of my baby pool jungle gym can be seen in my photobucket album. (not in a subfolder, added them before I know how to do subfolders) *|

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x276/ladybug15057/
(I did get rid of the wicker basket)
Heat source, no this is something I do not do. During the winter months we do have a wood burning stove though so the great room is warm. If it is not bath night, yes we do mist their gills and sometimes do a little mist within their shells too. I do not have a water source or food in the pool either and what we do have is totally washable. The white you see holding on the rolled gutter guard onto the ferret tunnel and plastic basket are plastic cable ties.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

What is that first basket made of? Where'd you get it?

Thanks for the pictures - I guess I felt that mine didn't have enough stuff in it. But seeing yours (with room around the outside for doing laps if they want to, and not jam-packed full of stuff) I feel better.

Thank you!

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

The smaller blue basket? Plastic. I could probably have a lot more in the pool, but our idea was to give them room to scoot about and to climb. Too much clutter seems they would begin to find places to hide which sort of defeats the purpose. But they do seem to like to run through the ferret tunnel too, which is a little darker inside. The lighting isn't usually that bright either, I turned the lights on over the table for the picture.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I don't have a pic right now, but I do have some wicker type things I put in it, which concern me because of the basket that my crab Gonzo has munched on twice (I tried it again hoping he'd leave it alone but no go, as soon as he started to rip it I pulled it out). I plan to get all plastic toys.
Like Marie, I don't put any hideys because as she said, it defeats the purpose. They just cuddle up under it and hide. Otherwise they freak out a little at first, then just keep climbing around on things. They seem to relax some and not be so frantic, but keep going around and then practice climbing on things. :)
I put the craft sheets on the bottom of the pool to give them some traction, instead of their little legs slipping all over.
Like Marie, also, I put the higher things in the middle.
I did put a food bowl in last time, but they just climbed through it. XD
I haven't been misting them, but I suppose I should, I've just been reluctant as I've read that they really don't like to be sprayed. I will mist above the pool now and again to get some humidity in the air (I know, it's kind of pathetic, doesn't really keep the air moist).
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Well, I just tried using mine out. Unfortunately, the crabs were more concerned with trying to climb out the smooth edges. It was rather comical, actually - they were on treadmills, or at least that's how it looked. :)

I had them out for probably around half an hour or so. At one point, I put all three in the 'smokestack' (a piece of craft plastic sewn into a tube with some hemp and stood on one end) and they all climbed out, but then Curly tried to steal Nibs' shell at the top! I separated them (after hearing chirping for the first time) and let all of them stay in another ten or so minutes. To end it, I put them back in the 'smokestack' and put them back into the tank as they climbed out. Slightly made it out first, then I had a repeat performance from Curly and Nibs, so I grabbed them and dunked both into the saltwater bowl to hopefully stop the shell fighting. I put them on different levels in the tank, so hopefully it'll go better next time.

Did your crabs just try to climb the sides during their first few times in the exerciser too? I'm kinda bummed, I was hoping for climbing all over the cool stuff I made them, but they didn't. :(

Mommy to:

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yes Emma, I had crabs just climbing at the sides. lol
I took a small plastic storage container (the kind with holes in the sides for putting in drawers) and cut some strips of craft plastic and tied them on it. I also have a wicker paper plate holder I put upside down. Maybe they'll get bored with climbing the walls and be more fun next time! I know mine were. :)
Here, I took a pic! Play Toy
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Nice - I'll try to remember to take pics of everything tomorrow - I'm going to bed soon...early early morning tomorrow...and all week. At least it's only a 4 day work week!

I was hoping that the crabs might settle down in the tank with their exercise, but I definitely found Slightly hanging from the edge of the hood. *shakes head* He's getting better with being handled, though - he now will just grab onto my finger and "hug" it with all his legs - it feels just like I'm getting a crab hug. #D #D The husband was definitely more interested in the crabs when he could see them doing stuff in the exerciser.

How long do your crabs get to exercise? I'm not sure how long I should leave mine out - any suggestions? I hope they're all crazy hungry tonight - that would be very encouraging!

Mommy to:

ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Emma here we still have some that try to climb the sides of the pools too. (this is after 9 years of using the pools) It is not always the same ones, but they do and the way I figure it is that too is exercise. They get some good leg stretches in when they do that. XD
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

XD I agree with Marie!

And Emma, the husband suddenly had more interest here, too! And the son. And the kitty cats. But I let them know in no uncertain terms not to get too close. They'd begin to show the teeniest bit of interest, they'd get me waving my hand in their face to startle them out of it. It worked! My biggest cat just started watching the bottom of the pool where he heard the crabs scrabbling instead of trying to look over the edge. :D He's a big harmless dummy cat anyway. And the little one, she behaves herself too since there are other things to grab her short attention and she doesn't like my hand darting in her face lol.

I didnt' notice much in the way of increased visits to the food dish, but you know, Wembley sure did settle down. He's starting to dig again, but I've not had them out for over a week now. Time to pull the pool in again and get them exercising!