hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

How can you make them more active

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

How can you make your hermit crabs more active, during the day? (?) And are they just pooped out from exploring from last night, being nocturnal and all? Just a few questions.
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: How can you make them more active

Post by emmac350 »

Crabs are by nature active at night...that's what 'nocturnal' means. They spend all night doing their thing, just like you and I do during the day. Then, just like we sleep at night, they sleep all day. Their circadian rhythm (the rhythm that living animals' bodies follow, as regulated by hormones in our bodies) is just like that.

Some species of crabs are more active in the day - my Es are usually moving around during the day, but my PPs spend all day asleep or moving to the next sleeping place (if they get too hot or something).
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

oh so they are just sleeping! Although there are a few that are a little hyper during the day like violet big daddy and frisco! And sometimes strawberry short cake the rest sleep and dig under!
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

I've noticed that there will be periods when my crabs are active during the day. I'm not sure exactly what gets them going, but I've noticed that a good humidity and temp level seems to get them out more than anything else. Also, rearrange things now and then, they seem to like to explore when things have changed a little. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Mine have random active patterns. I'd say that they're active whenever it is very hot.
Wai
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40

Post by emmac350 »

I agree with you there, Wai. Temps over 76F warrant the most activity, especially in daytime. If the tank doesn't get above 74F in the day, I rarely see even the Es out.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35

Post by Sterwick »

I've noticed that there will be periods when my crabs are active during the day.

I find they are very active after I spray the tank.

Stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

yes they are acyive after I mist them and also now that you guys mention it I hve notice they have random active periods!
FeltonandPhelps
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 335
Total tanks: 3

Post by FeltonandPhelps »

Hi,
I've found from other online resources that there's this light you can buy to interpret the night. My Hermits are far more active at night rather than day, so this light makes them think it's night. I can't exactly remember the said lights name, but I'm sure you should be able to find them at the local pet store. City Farmers provides them in Australia.
I've yet to buy one myself, but I think they work. City Farmers Hermit Crabs are very active.

If you do get one though, I'd recommend turning it (The light.) off every now and then, as I'm not sure how it affects their sleeping pattern.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Sorry to go off topic here, but I just wanted to throw in my opinion on city farmers hermit crabs. I bought three seemingly very active big guys, and within the month 2 of them had died. There are discussions on here about my troubles, and I don't believe that there are any major issues with my tank. My remaining big guy and the 3 littlies are fine, and have all moulted at least once successfully.