Rich
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Re: Crab vs dental floss

Post by Rich »

I observed a few interesting behaviors in my crab lately.

1) In the past she didn't care for canned shrimp or crickets from the pet store. I tried again with a can of "shimp and snails" which I bought over the internet specifically for hermit crabs. It was the only food I left in her seashell dish. This time she laid down next to the dish and pushed it until it was completely spilled out. Then she went away. I think this is interesting because it seems to be a completely non-instinctual action. It was deliberate and novel. Also it gave me the impression (I'm reserved about this) that she was communicating that she didn't like that stuff, take it away. A toddler would do something like that as a means of communicating. It sort of implies that the communicator is aware they're communicating with someone and trying to achieve something.

2) When agitated, she bends her long feeler antenae at a sharp angle backwards. It's not like the everyday carefree wiggling. Perhaps that's more of an instinctual action.

3) I suspect, since her eyes are compound and on stalks that she can see almost 360 degrees. If she withdraws defensively into the shell somewhat, there is nothing but darkness on all sides except forward, so that's one way to focus on a particular object.

4) She managed to get three seashells in her cave. She sleeps touching them. She's done this sort of thing before. It's as if she's hoarding them so they won't be taken away.

5) Every day I put all the free seashells on her climbing branch and every day she knocks them down in a way that doesn't seem to have any useful purpose other than fun.
Rich
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Rich »

After molting for 49 days, Azazul has gone back to liking me. Last night she walked up to the edge of the glass and was facing me for quite a while.

I wave, she waves back. This time she does it with (her) right claw. Actually just lifts it a little, but it seems like a gesture. That goes on for awhle, but I can only take it so long.
ZuZu
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 29

Post by ZuZu »

aww! so cute! I want a waving crab too! XD My crabs a generally interactive but this ONE crab looks at me like I am a crazy woman (though I guess I am talking to crabs -.- ) but they all go to the glass and say hi and try to get through the glass to me, its like they are saying
Shy Guy: Hey maybe if we push a bit harder the glass will give way!
Rose (who is always super hyper): yah! lets try! bo-yah!
Bumper: Just-a bit-harder!
Sticky (the one who thinks i am a crazy woman): you guys are all dorks.
I love my five hermies:
Bumper, the socialite leader
Sticky, The Devourer
Shy Guy, Name says all.
Rose, hyper, never sleeps
Sharky, micro version of ShyGuy
Celebrating 5 years of Crabisism XD
Rich
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Rich »

I think there should be a seperate thread for "how to communicate with your crab." If I put my thunbs on my temples and wiggle my fingers like antenae, Azazul likes me very much. Then the waving starts.

She has forgiven me for the dental floss incident. Now I can forgive myself.
JennyHermit
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Post by JennyHermit »

Wow! U guys have all had such amazing experiences and relationships with your hermmies!!! Good job!
HERE IS HERSHEY!!!
R.I.P, Chessnut! we miss you!!!