Introduction - Tanya

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
radiant_tanya
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Introduction - Tanya

Post by radiant_tanya »

Hello, All! My name is Tanya and my 15yo daughter and I have two PP hermit crabs named Oscar and Felix. My daughter received Oscar as part of an animal-assisted therapy program. The kids and young people work to care for them and learn how to control their tempers in the presence of the crabs since the crabs do not like loud noises and outbursts of temper, and will only come out to play in a calm, gentle, friendly environment. It is a great program and has really had a positive impact on my daughter.

Unfortunately, when we eventually transferred Oscar from the progam to home, we knew nothing about the proper care of hermit crabs. We made the usual ignorant mistakes until Oscar moulted on the surface and we thought he had died. At that point I started researching hermie care because I wanted to find out what we did wrong. I learned that we had unwittingly been keeping Oscar in what must have been a hermit crab prison cell from his perspective. :( Fortunately, after doing all this research, we were overjoyed to discover that Oscar was still alive in his shell and had just left his shed exoskeleton on the sand! I rushed out 5 minutes after this discovery and bought a 10 gallon tank, sand, coconut fiber, water dishes, etc., etc. (went a little crazy in my joy at his being alive), and also another hermit crab (yes, still making mistakes as I was learning).

Every day since then (which was last Friday evening) I have pored over the crabber websites and these forums and have gone out to get some new thing I realized crabbies need. Now Oscar is happily ensconced in a small partioned off section in the new tank recovering from his moult, while our new hermie Felix gets acclimated in the other part of the tank.

I am so grateful that you experienced crabbers are out here spreading the word on the internet so we could learn how to properly care for our little guys! Thank you!!! I hope to give back by providing some hermit crab care resources that the animal-assisted therapy program can send home with the crabs so their new owners will be prepared!

BTW, is it normally to suddenly become obssessed with these little guys? I think I am there. :)

Tanya
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Introduction - Tanya

Post by Wai »

Glad we could help! Our only resources for help are each other; hence why all the good information is online.
Wai
Bonnie.Maree
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 3

Re: Introduction - Tanya

Post by Bonnie.Maree »

Welcome! Yes it is normal! Nearly two months later I still rush home to see what my hermies have been upto
MY HERMIT CRABS: Chester the sneaky and Indigo the digger
REST IN PEACE Willow the tunnel maker and Charlie the climber