Intro :)

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
Amelie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 6
Total tanks: 2

Intro :)

Post by Amelie »

Hi
we live in Perth, WA - Australia; my daughter has got 4 hermit crabs and over the past 3 months I've spent hours and hours reading up on how to care for them. I'm not that much into the crabs myself but like animals in general and wanting to set a good example for my daughter to care for them to our best knowledge. You have probably noticed by now that English is not my native language.. :D So, the crabs are called Tweedy Bird, Milo, Chocolate and Vanilla. Tweedy bird is in a painted tweedy bird shell and was a Christmas present given to my daughter. I've started a thread in the shells section about my search for new shells for the crabs. So far this forum/page has answered a lot of my questions, thank you everybody for sharing your knowledge. We've had one molting so far. here's to many more 8)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Intro :)

Post by Wai »

Welcome! There is a lot of info out there, but there are still many questions to be answered.
Wai
Amelie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 6
Total tanks: 2

Re: Intro :)

Post by Amelie »

thanks :) it's school holidays over here in WA and me and my 6 year old had the coolest day full of learning doing stuff for our hermit crabs. Went to the beach to collect a bit of seaweed for them and as we walked along the beach picked up a bag full of rubbish as well, which lead to a discussion how the rubbish got there and how it affects wildlife; boiled the seaweed for 10 minutes and learned how boiling kills germs, measured temperature and humidity, monitored how putting new moist stuff in the crabitat increased humidity; learned about meauring units when mixing the salt water.. so much awesome real life stuff for kids to learn when looking after their crabs!!