Video's/disturbing

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Video's/disturbing

Post by ladybug15057 »

Did a little search today and came across a video that was disturbing. (to me anyway)
What on earth do people think when they let a hermie pinch them?? Best I can tell when the hurt of the pinch set in, unfortunately I think this poor hermie went flying? :'(

Hermit Crab Kisses

Complete list of videos
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Ayume
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Video's/disturbing

Post by Ayume »

You think that's disturbing, how about our friends at Expert Village?
Some things she says are true, about.... 10%? I was horrified when I saw these videos, watching them before I got my hermits. I had already done so much research (including read this website) when I saw these videos I laughed, most of it is complete poppycock.

OH, and on Expertvillage.com the info on hermitcrabs is under the section "Toys"... just saying.
For all of them: http://www.ehow.com/VideoSearch.aspx?s= ... &options=4
And the most horrific: http://www.ehow.com/video_2349743_tips- ... crabs.html

She recomends in one of her videos to have a MAX of 10 gal tank and advises that you have a whole COLONY in that 10gal tank.
Also, she doesn't say how much or what kind of substrate and encourages painted shells. =(
Take note of the comments that users have left on these videos, it's good to know that people have done their research! =D
Last edited by Ayume on 18 Feb 2010, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

*GASP* 8|

I have to meet that lady and tell her to stop making any more videos!
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Take note of the comments that users have left on these videos,
I do wonder however where the comments come from. For months I have attempted to leave comments for them never to show.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Ah yes, the Expert Village videos. They are awful. I've left comments as well as written to Expert Village, and got a less than satisfactory answer from them. I think they told me I was welcome to put together my own expert video or something. Actually I don't recall. lol.

Lots of comments on those videos, but when I was a newbie, I didn't even realize there were comments (or had just gotten used to not looking at them as videos I'd watched before had a lot of ridiculous comments I didn't care to read) and didn't see how many people thought it was awful. My husband was the same. We thought hermit crabs were easy peasy to care for because of her stupid videos, and that other guy too, who isn't quite as bad but isn't very good either. He says you can't sex hermit crabs. Nobody knows how. lol. Ridiculous.

Maybe we should write some NICE messages to the people who made the videos and inform them of common practices for hermit crab care now, and ask them to remove their old videos, perhaps replacing them with newer, more up to date videos with good info in them.
They might be offended, but who knows.

I wish I had a decent video camera. It would be fun to make my own expert village videos.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

I few years ago a couple experienced crabbers from another forum attempted to write a NICE e-mail to them. Even the owner of Coenobita Research with documentation to show the requirements that were documented... no good. :( Mentioned there too about creating her own site and she had one! Referred them to the site and asked for them to at least refer to her site...nope. We also asked for referrals to CSJ, nothing!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

Connorsbrat
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 15

Post by Connorsbrat »

Ayume wrote:You think that's disturbing, how about our friends at Expert Village?
Some things she says are true, about.... 10%? I was horrified when I saw these videos, watching them before I got my hermits. I had already done so much research (including read this website) when I saw these videos I laughed, most of it is complete poppycock.

OH, and on Expertvillage.com the info on hermitcrabs is under the section "Toys"... just saying.
For all of them: http://www.ehow.com/VideoSearch.aspx?s= ... &options=4
And the most horrific: http://www.ehow.com/video_2349743_tips- ... crabs.html

She recomends in one of her videos to have a MAX of 10 gal tank and advises that you have a whole COLONY in that 10gal tank.
Also, she doesn't say how much or what kind of substrate and encourages painted shells. =(
Take note of the comments that users have left on these videos, it's good to know that people have done their research! =D
I can honestly say her videos made me mad... I wouldn't want this lady teaching anyone's kids because she obviously doesn't do her homework and pushes bad information. If she does this on instructional videos, what does she do in her classroom? >[
Happy owner of 8 beautiful PP's: Doser, Tiger, Taz, Mayhem, Strawberry, Ferdinand, Loco, and K.C.; 2 E's: Thing 1 and Thing 2; 2 Blueberries: Violet and Blue; 1 Indo: Gentle Ben
Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

I watched the "Hermit Crab Kisses" video. I didn't even have to watch the whole video to be shocked
at how that lady treated that crab. That really must have hurt the crab, and I believe that imbecile in the video had every right to be pinched. Frankly, I believe it's too bad that almost all of the world's population isn't smart enough to properly handle/care for hermit crabs, because hermit crabs are an unusual and fun animal to house ( I say this because I think that pets own people, not the other way around.)
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo