Hi, I'm new!

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
stitch
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Hi, I'm new!

Post by stitch »

Hi, y'all! I'm new here. I've never had a hermit crab before, and am considering getting a few for my children for Christmas (ages 6.5 & 5).
I found this forum while googling about hermit crab care (since obviously, I will be the one caring for the crabs).

Hoping to learn a lot from y'all! :D

Edited to add: I'm already learning loads from the Crab Care section!!
Our pets currently: two dogs (mini schnauzer mix and we think a pure chihuahua), a few tropical fish, and three rats
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hi, I'm new!

Post by Wai »

Welcome to Hermit Crab Paradise! Yeah, I reckon you'll be the main carer for the hermit crabs too.
Wai
stitch
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by stitch »

Wai wrote:Welcome to Hermit Crab Paradise! Yeah, I reckon you'll be the main carer for the hermit crabs too.
XD

I'm so glad I'm doing research first. I had no idea about a lot of the stuff I'm reading, particularly, the painted shells!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Welcome to HCP! With the care hermies need, you will be the caregiver. Do you go on vacations? Have you considered a caregiver for then?
Please do read through the forums too. I think you will note that younger children also tire of hermies because they do not interact like other creatures. Even fish, one can look in the tank and see them swimming around, but hermies are known to burrow or hide in huts making the tank look empty most of the time for many. Unless the in reality are going to be moms pet? ;)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Post by Grandma Crabber »

Welcome!!! I got interested in Hermit Crabs because my grandsons needed me to take care of their two crabs while they moved. I now have their two crabs plus 22 more. I did do research like you are doing and that saved these little guys that my grandsons gave me to care for. (Now mom won't take them back) Hope you love it as much as I do. Grandma Crabber