New to the site and new to crab loving

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 1

New to the site and new to crab loving

Post by Andee »

Well technically I've always loved crabs, originally I had red thai crabs but that always ended in disaster. So I stopped keeping them. But anyway, I am Andee and live in California. I have fallen in love with the hermit crabs at the pet stores, but now that I read what they need I have realized how neglected they are. I want to be able to give them a better home. But I'm not even sure if my mom will let me XD. I plan to ask her when she's least expecting it and will be vulnerable >D. I want some hermies so bad D= but I want to build up slowly to them, and get everything perfect before I bring them home. I am thinking a 8-10 gallon tank for two or three small ones and then I will probably upgrade later on. So yeah, hi guys ^^ hope you don't mind the long post.
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Re: New to the site and new to crab loving

Post by Wai »

Welcome! Just be prepared to spend a fair amount of money on them for supplies though. The little buggers aren't cheap to keep.
Wai
Andee
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13
Total gallons: 40

Post by Andee »

XD So I've read, I'm used to keeping expensive animals though. I have several fish tanks and a lizard. Of course my dog is absolutely spoiled and so is our parrot. I am told though I am great at keeping complicated animals, just because I love them so much <3
40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw

My Blog: http://crabbingadventures.wordpress.com
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

That's good then! I hope the hermit crabs will keep you entertained too.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

PetSmart sells a substrate called CaribSea. (buy select or sugar size grains only) It normally sells for $19.99 but at times goes on sale for $14.99. You can get a Humidity thermometer combo for about $7 at WalMart. (much less than the pet stores) Decorations can be purchased at dollar/craft stores too for much less.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.