New Hermie owner, here's my story.

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
Stu
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 2

New Hermie owner, here's my story.

Post by Stu »

Well, our trip to Florida this year resulted in us adopting 2 medium sized PP's from a gift shop off the Gulf. My wife who is somewhat against in house pets thought that they would be easy to maintain and a good educational tool for our younger kiddo's so we went with it. Thank goodness the woman told us that they did not like to live alone, even if that's the only thing she got right ( bad habitat, painted shells, lack of humidity) in store.

We were given a little handout explaining some of the organic foods they enjoyed as well as some basic care. Of course we were sold a little wire mesh cage no bigger then a large jar, with a tiny sponge and some commercial food. After we got them home we made a visit to Pet-smart based on her suggestion that they had added a decent reptile and terrarium type pet section.

So as the average unaware owner, we purchased a larger wire mesh "starter kit" which had a coconut shell, another water bowl, sponge, plant, and some aquarium gravel, which is what the original kit used as a substrate. We thought we were doing pretty good. Bought a bottle of spring water and treated it with a drop of De-chlorinator just to be certain it was fresh.

However a few days later, we noticed that the crabs weren't doing much. You would hear them come out after dark and drink or eat, but they would scurry back under their coconut if disturbed. They had survived the trip and were adjusting ok, just not overly playful. I decided to do some internet reading.

Wow.. I was amazed. Not only at all the resources for hermit crabs, but all of the opposing information available as well. It's been almost a chore to read through the lines and determine exactly what they require, but I think we are on the right track now.

Prior to reading that Calci-sand is terrible, I bought a bag, pet-smart, 19.00 each, and spread that and some shredded coconut fiber out and mixed them, about 2.5 to 3" thick in a glass 10 gallon aquarium with a screen lid ( I want different sand and a larger aquarium sooner or later). I purchased an 8 watt ZooMed UTH but placed it on the side about mid ways up the glass, I added a salt-water stone bowl and several climbing sticks and wood pieces. They also have 2 homes to sleep in and a thicker coconut fiber liner on the rear of the glass to hide them from the sun (morning only) and help control humidity. I installed a humidity and temperature gauge and have gotten the environment roughly to what I perceive as correct for our little pets. Roughly 75-79* and about 60-80% total humidity (currently digital meter)

About a week or so in their new environment, my medium crabs still don't seem to be very active, but are cuddled up together in their coconut. 1 of the 2 will regularly come out of his shell and visit if I check on him each day, but the other seems to remain dormant unless I'm not in the room and he will sneak to the water bowl and run back. He's a bit shy.

Today, I went to a local pet store, with worse conditions then the gift shop this all started with and picked up a small to medium companion for the 2 originals, so I now have 3, which I thought would be the perfect number for my 10 gal setup, soon to be a 20 if and when these little guys show improvements.

So, just goes to show you, never underestimate your pets requirements! Even though my wife apologized for picking such a needy pet, I thanked her for giving me something to do, and look forward to taking care of them, and allowing the kids to see how they grow and live. Glad I found a spot I can share my struggles and ask questions if needed! Thanks for having me.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: New Hermie owner, here's my story.

Post by Wai »

Welcome! Glad to have you join us.
Wai
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: New Hermie owner, here's my story.

Post by appps »

Welcome. I think everyone spends more on useless stuff that good when they first buy crabs. It's just not a pet we tend to think needs too much work till we get them :)

Good news is once you get it set up well and know what you are doing it does get a lot easier :)

It does take some time but eventually they get used to the coming and going of us walking by and will stay out when you walk by or stop to look at them, but don't expect it to happen quickly. At the moment you are no different to a bird that might pick them up and eat them and they have to not only get used to their new habitat but that something keeps looming over them that could be looking for dinner :)

I would suggest you do lots and lots of reading before tackling the 20 gal tank so it's exactly how you need this time. Good luck and keep us updated!
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com