Good afternoon, I'd like to say "hello"

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
DavidW
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 12
Total tanks: 3

Good afternoon, I'd like to say "hello"

Post by DavidW »

I'm David. My brother-in-law (it's my wife's brother - we'll call him "Ray") surprised my wife and I with a purple pincher for our 6 year old son for Christmas Eve 2014. He also got one for his 7 year old daughter. We all opened our gifts together on Christmas Eve.

The crabs mesmerized us. They were so cool! Of course, Ray had the basic mall kiosk setup and explained how easy it was going to be. "You just spray them with this water." he said. "It's like training them."

So I tote the little crab dude home and set him on the table that night. We're all tired, and we have to go to my family's house on Christmas Day.

When my family meets up the next day, we talked about the gifts the children received the night before.

Upon hearing that my son is now a proud hermit crab owner, a certain member of my family remarked "Oh, well, that's just something for him to watch die."

Oh f#%*ing hell no you did not just say that.

I have been pouring over crab care websites since that night. I have gathered both my son and my niece's crabs (His crab's name is Pinchipus Crabicus I, her crab's name is Princess Peanut Butter Cup) and provided them with a more proper environment. We have a long way to go, but they appear to be content for now. It is my determination that they will live, and not die early. I want to learn as much as possible and try to provide these creatures with all the amenities I can (but funds are limited). Thank you for any and all help, and I am genuinely excited to be able to discuss these matters with people who care and take interest in these unique creatures.

Unlike some people with whom I spend Christmas.

-d
Last edited by DavidW on 24 Feb 2015, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Good afternoon, I'd like to say "hello"

Post by appps »

Well you are in the right place to learn.

Sadly your relative is right in a lot of cases, pretty much everything they tell you at the pet store is wrong most of the time so not too many survive. Yours got lucky though it seems as now you will know how to really care for them. :-)

Feel free to share your set up so far in the tank section and we will see if we can give you some affordable ideas to get it set up properly.
Last edited by appps on 26 Feb 2015, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Welcome! I'm glad that you are taking such an interest in your child's gift (I do hate when people give animals as gifts - it forces the recipient to pay money to fix the setup and maintain it...it's like saying "Merry Christmas! Here's something you're going to have to spend YOUR money on!"). Hermit crabs aren't the most mainstream pet to have by any means but they are interesting little guys. You already seem to be doing a good job since they're still alive two months later...a lot of crabs don't even make it this long.

There's a ton of info on the forum and in the Crab Care section - please feel free to ask if any of it doesn't make sense. Welcome again!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Welcome to HCP!! I'm happy to see you have found us! There is so much good information within this site, and a few seasoned crabbers who will help as much as they can if they/we can. There are a few different ways of successful crabbing, secret being finding one that works for you and your son.
Hermies as a gift.... oh goodness I remember when my daughter was given her first hermies as souvenirs. We were told "Don't worry, they'll die in 2-3 months. Went to the pet store for info, and as already mentioned wasn't much help at all. Then we went to the library and found outdated info, and finally got online and found a group that was more than willing to help. (THANK GOODNESS!!!!) Proud to say, it has been 14 going on 15 years this June and we have majority of of our original hermies. Of the 6 that were first given, we have 4 left, but our total hermie household is 82. -.-
Again, welcome to HCP!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Sort of sidetracking but OMGoodness! I had no idea you had that many! That is a collection and a half!
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

DavidW
Zygote
Zygote

Post by DavidW »

They are still fine and kicking. In fact, Pinchipus switched shells last night. No limbs lost or shell rot to be noted. I'm planning on getting them a larger tank this summer.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

Thats great news DavidW! Feel free to keep us updated, and ask ANY related questions you may have :)

Ginger.
DavidW
Zygote
Zygote

Post by DavidW »

Cleaned the cage out thoroughly today. Both my little buddies are healthy and energetic. Told that certain family member that the crabs said "hello". Yup.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Glad to hear your crabs are still doing well - you're up to 3 months, almost 4 now, right? You've already outlasted the majority of impulse-bought crabs, so good job!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Lol I'm sure telling them was very satisfying :-)
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011