Obsessed with my two darling and snobby PPs

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: Obsessed with my two darling and snobby PPs

Post by Ginger »

He sounds great! I'm sure we would all love to see a picture of him...
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 50
Total tanks: 2

Post by sammsw »

That was going to be my next question! ... How do I post pictures??? I have plenty!
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

Here's Scooter pre-molt. He looked much more colorful under the UVB light and the flash from my camera washed him out quite a bit, but as you can see in the next photo....

Here he is post-molt, and he is overall much more colorful!!!! This was just after his salt water bath prior to re-entering the main tank.

Here he is on the sizing chart... definintely no longer fitting in the medium category! And due to the blur, you can tell that he was really on the move. It was a struggle trying to place him to walk over the bullseye and time the photo to get him just in the center!

Here is his brother, ScuttleButt, who clearly is fitting well within the medium circle still. The shell ScuttleB is currently wearing is the shell Scooter first changed into when I brought them home two months ago, so you can tell they've both grown quite a bit!

Another picture of ScuttleB from a few weeks ago. Since I brought them home he has been much more purple than red.

A picture of the pair reunited after two weeks apart while Scoots was in isolation! They were giving lots of anntenae kisses.

An old view of their main tank... now includes steps with lots of moss they like to bury in and that basket in the top right is the one that molded and had to be thrown away.

Thank you guys for not answering my questions about how to post pictures... I know how annoying it is when newbies don't read the FAQ. I finally found it myself and figured it out. =] Hope you enjoy the photos! Let me know if there's anything you see that needs to be changed/removed/etc from the tank. =]
Last edited by sammsw on 26 Oct 2015, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

They look great Sammsw! That colour change is AWESOME.
sammsw
Zygote
Zygote

Post by sammsw »

I think I've figured out a cause of their dormancy... When Scooter was in iso the few days after he came up and I was waiting to be sure he was hard enough to return to the main tank, he was super active. As soon as he went back in the main, however, he has gone back to being super dormant. I know that some of this could be due to stress from environment change, but I think that it's the location of the tank! I just now realized that the tank shares a wall with the closet in which our central air system is housed... and living in Florida, it kicks on and off a lot and makes a good bit of noise that is white noise to me, but probably is way overwhelming to the crabs. Duh! I'm not super spacially aware, so it's not surprising that I'm just now realizing this, but yeah. So one of my planned projects for this weekend is to get them moved into the other room, on a much quieter wall of the house.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking they might be feeling the vibrations more than hearing them. I have done hearing tests several times on my crabs. It has been all silent, and then I would squawk or something of the equivalent, and they have absolutely no response!