Help Pls

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Help Pls

Post by mak0124 »

Hi there. I have a 10gal tank with a hermie whos very depressed.
Hes alone. He hides inside his coconut hut ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME. The only food i have is the crappy proccesed powder food. I have a branch to climb, but its a bad one from OUTSIDE. (dw i baked it and washed) still it can gain mold any time. I have meh subsrtate. 6inches of play sand. Hes very sad. I cant afford anything for him (my wallet is empty. im only 13, and my parents are struggling with $$ and dont care about him atm. Please if someone with money could help me. I have a list for the essentials. thank you
https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/ShoppingCart.asp?
i'd also like some cholloa wood like 3 6inch piece. Im not trying to sound greedy or rude im sorry if it sounds like that. Help please
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Help Pls

Post by emmac350 »

Branches from outside aren't necessarily bad, as long as they're a crab-safe wood. What kind of wood is your branch? There isn't anything about things from outside that will make them mold any faster than anything else sold specifically for hermit crabs.

As for food, does your family eat a lot of foods from scratch (that start with non-seasoned fruits/veggies/meats/eggs/etc.)? If so, you can feed a LOT of those to your hermit crab to supplement his current diet and it's a lot better for him.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:Branches from outside aren't necessarily bad, as long as they're a crab-safe wood. What kind of wood is your branch? There isn't anything about things from outside that will make them mold any faster than anything else sold specifically for hermit crabs.

As for food, does your family eat a lot of foods from scratch (that start with non-seasoned fruits/veggies/meats/eggs/etc.)? If so, you can feed a LOT of those to your hermit crab to supplement his current diet and it's a lot better for him.
No. My family refuses to let me give any of "people" food to my hermie. Do you have any extra money? Im sorry if i sound rude. The wood is oak.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Oak is crab safe, so no worries on that.

I don't have money (and I can't view your cart) but I have a lot of extra hermie stuff that my crabs have outgrown that I can send you. Food/water bowls, shells, food, etc. Ask your parents if it's okay - my crabs have grown a lot in the 8 years I've had them and I have plenty of those to share with you. If your crab isn't too big I even have a second hidey he can have.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:Oak is crab safe, so no worries on that.

I don't have money (and I can't view your cart) but I have a lot of extra hermie stuff that my crabs have outgrown that I can send you. Food/water bowls, shells, food, etc. Ask your parents if it's okay - my crabs have grown a lot in the 8 years I've had them and I have plenty of those to share with you. If your crab isn't too big I even have a second hidey he can have.
Sorry i guess that link only is valid if your signed in. AND YES I WOULD LOVE THAT. THANK YOU. My parents do not care. My hermie is small. (still in a small shell like opening is 1 1/4 inch. I can private message you my adress (as long as your not a crazy person lol) THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! I would take anything that you send me related to hermit crabs. Do you live in the USA?
mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:Oak is crab safe, so no worries on that.

Also not trying to sound greedy but do you have any coconut fiber that you dont use? Or things they can climb on? Once again not trying to sound greedy sorry if i come off that way
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I'll see what I've got to spare. List out what you have and I'll try to send anything spare I have that you don't already have.

Mommy to:

mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:I'll see what I've got to spare. List out what you have and I'll try to send anything spare I have that you don't already have.
i threw out my stick cause it had white stuff.
So. I have a water bowl. Very bad food bowl. Coconut hut. And bad food. Lol.
I really need bowls, food, and climbing accesories and decor. Not trying to sound greedy im sorry fi i do but i feel really bad for my crab
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Do you have any spare shells? Salt water mix? Dechlorinator? I don't have any dechlorinator but I can send you a jar with some saltwater mix as well as food.

Was the white stuff fuzzy? If not (and you do have salt water in your tank) it was probably just salt residue. But better safe than sorry - humidity will help mold grow.

Mommy to:

mak0124
Zygote
Zygote

Post by mak0124 »

emmac350 wrote:Do you have any spare shells? Salt water mix? Dechlorinator? I don't have any dechlorinator but I can send you a jar with some saltwater mix as well as food.

Was the white stuff fuzzy? If not (and you do have salt water in your tank) it was probably just salt residue. But better safe than sorry - humidity will help mold grow.
it was somewhat fuzzy but the white stuff looked 2D. I do have food but like i said its not that good. I dont have any dechlorianots but atm am using water that has no chloride. I dont have any food bowls (well i have a flat sea shell for my food) and no climbinb things. Thank you