Where to buy a crab.

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Where to buy a crab.

Post by emmac350 »

Not that I'd trust or that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Can you buy hermit crabs on the internet? Yes. You can buy exotic species too. But I don't think it's a good idea, and any source you find needs to have exceptional methods (accounting for relative temperatures along the way, speed of shipping method, etc.) to get your crabs there any less stressed than what you could get in a pet store.

I found my Es in a pet store when I was killing time before picking someone up from the airport (flight delay). I bought a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store nearby, bought a brick of Eco Earth and the biggest critter keeper the pet store had, then 20 minutes before I had to be at the airport I bought the crabs, put them in the CK, wen tto the airport, and then transferred the crabs to ISO as soon as we got home.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

where do you suggest to buy a crab?
I would strongly recommend not getting any more hermies until you have all the supplies you need, and a properly set up crabitat.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
fabricdragon
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 2

Post by fabricdragon »

i dont know where you are, but... many reef and reptile shows and expos will have people with hermit crabs OR know where they can get some.
in addition...
if you are in a location where people vacation to "the shore" like new jersey? an add in the neighborhood "facebook internet yardsale" will get you a lot of them as people bring them home form vacation and dont know how to keep them