Future hermit crab grandparent

For off-topic chat. Please introduce yourself here.
TXSyd
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Future hermit crab grandparent

Post by TXSyd »

I made the mistake of taking my 3 year old to a souvenir shop in our coastal town. he fell in love with the hermit crabs, and has decided he wanted one right then and there. I managed to convince him that Santa would bring him one instead.

even before I started my research I knew I wanted a bigger tank than the 1 gallon tanks they were offering, but after starting my research, I feel terrible for the poor things being sold out of that shop. Honestly, I feel a bit overwhelmed, they require much more care then I originally expected and I know my 3 year old won't help.

What is the volume of your main tank?
I was thinking about starting with a 10 gallon

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
Planning on rescuing 3 from that terrible terrible gift shop

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
Never, I'm afraid of killing them to be honest.

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
a mix of coconut fiber and sand
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Re: Future hermit crab grandparent

Post by aussieJJDude »

First off, welcome! :) For most, when setting up it often can seem a bit overwhelming, the important thing is to stay calm and remember that all of us were in your boat at some point. However, after keeping them, you realise that they not as difficult as you thought!

I personally would start out with 2 of the smallest crabs you can find in the store. 3 crabs can grow up quickly and outgrow a 10 gallon tank, and starting with two will give you a bit more room for them to grow in. However, if you enjoy crabbing - as your son will eventually become disinterested IMO, so as the sole caretaker - then I would suggest upgrading to a 20G long or a 40G breeder and add a few more crabs. :)

I personally would adopt rather than buy from the store. Often with adoptions you can get some useful supplies and the crabs themselves for free or a reduced fee; and give them - the crabs - a second chance. Buying from the gift shop is supporting the shop to house more crabs in terrible conditions, repeating the cycle with more crabs being mistreated. If no one buys the crabs in the shop, they will stop selling them due to lack of interest in the "product"... Which does stop the cycle. :)
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
TXSyd
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by TXSyd »

aussieJJDude wrote:First off, welcome! :) For most, when setting up it often can seem a bit overwhelming, the important thing is to stay calm and remember that all of us were in your boat at some point. However, after keeping them, you realise that they not as difficult as you thought!

I personally would start out with 2 of the smallest crabs you can find in the store. 3 crabs can grow up quickly and outgrow a 10 gallon tank, and starting with two will give you a bit more room for them to grow in. However, if you enjoy crabbing - as your son will eventually become disinterested IMO, so as the sole caretaker - then I would suggest upgrading to a 20G long or a 40G breeder and add a few more crabs. :)

I personally would adopt rather than buy from the store. Often with adoptions you can get some useful supplies and the crabs themselves for free or a reduced fee; and give them - the crabs - a second chance. Buying from the gift shop is supporting the shop to house more crabs in terrible conditions, repeating the cycle with more crabs being mistreated. If no one buys the crabs in the shop, they will stop selling them due to lack of interest in the "product"... Which does stop the cycle. :)

Your right about supporting the terrible conditions buying crabs, I'm tempted to break in and steal them all. We went back last week to look at them again and there were half as many as the last time. Considering I've never seen anyone buy a crab from there I just want to save them all.

His grandfather told me he thinks he has a spare 15 and 20 gallon tank so looks like we will be starting bigger than planned. When my son first said he wanted the crabs I thought it was going to be a simple no maintenance pet for a 3 year old, this is more like getting a dog without the need to take it for walks.

I'm glad I'm doing research before biying, but there go my hopes of a stress free pet.
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

The only pet thats stress free is a rock. Coming from an avid aquarist, even fish take a bit of work! :) Even though I understand what your saying, I wouldn't agree with breaking in and stealing them. I'd hate to see you get jailed, fined or whatever!

Depending on the dimensions, I would really go with the 20! In small tanks, leg room is so important!
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Welcome to HCP! Fantastic you are researching first unlike some of us! My daughters got theirs as souvenirs when somebody went to Ocean City, Maryland. "Keep them in a round screen cage, and feed them table scraps they are scavengers, they only live 2-3 months." I found this hard to believe so we went to the library and began researching. YIKES!!!!!! I completely understood why their hermies only lived for 2-3 months! (surprised they lived that long!) Longer story shorter they do have requirements that need to be met to live. There is not a 100% full proof way, so one can alter it a little to what works for them. CrabWorks has had Jon now for 40 years, and our souvenirs are with us now for 16 years.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.