Hermmie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 2

Small Crab dug in for 15wks

Post by Hermmie »

About 16 weeks or so I became the proud owner of three hermit crabs. I excitedly studied and read up on how to set up the crabitate. They are in a 10 gal tank, dechlorinated water, fresh water, play sand and eco earth both, heat lamp, humidity 80, temp 80, and fresh food daily. When first introduced to this new setup they explored, hydrated, ate, made noises, swapped shells, dug, in short they loved it. Then as to be expected of crabs whom had been kept in such a bad environment as they had been in, my crabs dug in for the long sleep. Not having any idea how long they had been in the previous environment I wasn't worried when 10 weeks went by and still no sign of the smaller two. Then 15 weeks went by...then 16 and finally....one surfaced. I'm thinking great, but the one that has been on the surface all this time has been very depressed and inactive without is companions so let me rearrange things, make some new climbing places, hiding places, something more for him to explore. In this rearrangement of things the second crab was uncovered, pretty close to the surface. Only he's in his shell and not moving. I placed him in a water dish for few seconds to see if that would coax him out at the very least help hydrate him. And now I have him placed on the food dish. So my question is...could he be dead and stuck in his shell? Or did I scare the carp out of him while he was distressing? I just don't know what to do for him. And no smell to speak off...
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Small Crab dug in for 15wks

Post by Wai »

If there is no smell, he should be okay, just keep an eye on him.
Wai