POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Jute Hammock Safe?

Post by POPPIT »

I want to get this for my medium crabs for a second level shell shop..It says its completely natural and made from Jute..Its called a Lizard Lounger and in the pic i want the large corner one with the flap hanging down (this should make a good ladder)...Is Jute safe for the hermits to chew on or be exposed to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Re: Jute Hammock Safe?

Post by Ginger »

Well, I use natural jute string for tying stuff up/together in the tat a lot, according to this website: https://debcosolutions.wordpress.com/20 ... emp-oh-my/ it is a material fibre made with no hazardous chemicals - although this it probably not the most reliable info. If you can, maybe ask about its production, if it is organically produced/has IPM (integrated pest management strategies) in use etc. Otherwise, if you are not shipping it, try smelling it. If it smells pretty bad, I'd avoid it (although you could try boiling it, might just be musty...) Most crabbers recommend hemp, which is finer and stronger, but I've never really looked into this topic much. I will be interested to see the other replies.

Sorry if this wasn't much help :( - thought I'd just chuck in my two pennies.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69

Re: Jute Hammock Safe?

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Ginger at least the natural fibre of Jute is ok...its on ebay so can not smell it and i possibly remember the picture of the hammock packaging was in Spanish or something but posts from Australian (maybe not actual product pic)...I might look online some more to try and find a store near me that sells them...