CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Do NOT use "Hermit Crab Sand"

Post by CrabbyJo »

What brand of ocean sand are you looking at? There are several out on the market I believe, and it's hard to say what is what. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
aries
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 25
Total tanks: 3

Post by aries »

Oh, didn't know and this was something my son picked up for me. Haven't used it yet because I'm super scared after losing all my hermies but one. Let me check. It's Nature's Ocean.
1 PP Athena
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Natures Ocean is an Aragonite sand, but it does have a few different grain sizes. Would you happen to know which Natures ocean sand you have?

http://www.naturesocean.com/marine_substrates.htm

The Marine White Sand #0 and the Aragonite Sand #0 are smaller grains and should be ok.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

Hehe, I will go look. Didn't think about that, was eating dinner when I went and checked real quick.
It's the Marine White Sand #0 from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. so I think it's good.
1 PP Athena
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Great, it's good and with using that you can return the expensive calsi sand and get something else if you didn't open it yet. :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

The calsi sand has been opened for many a year. Does anyone one use it as a calcium substitute in a dish? That was one way we used in the old days. If not I'm going to go grab some eggs and get my egg shells crushed up.

Forgot to add that I never have used calsi sand in my substrate at all. No worries on that one. I have used it in a small dish. I have tried the cuddle bones for birds but they are very hard to crush.
1 PP Athena
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

CrabbyJo wrote:Do you think they might stop using it if you told them that it has been known to kill crabs?

If it gets wet (and the crabs can wet it themselves, you can't stop them) it dries in clumps. If some gets into a crab's shell, where they carry water, it can dry in there and trap the crab in the shell. The crab cannot change shells, and will die.
Also, if they bury down in it and it's wet, and it dries while they are molting, it can harden and trap them, where again, they will die. Digging them out isn't an option, as doing that also can kill a molting crab just from the stress.

it's really not worth it. maybe you can convince them and make some other suggestions for them to use, such as Eco Earth (coconut fiber) or the much better (and healthier) aragonite sand from Caribsea.

ive tried that they wont get new stuff!! Why dont people listen
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Does anyone one use it as a calcium substitute in a dish? That was one way we used in the old days. If not I'm going to go grab some eggs and get my egg shells crushed up.
Blenders work good for grinding things for hermies, but I also purchased a small coffee grinder a few years ago and it works GREAT!
Remember to boil the egg shells in dechlor water prior to offering for salmonella reasons. Yep, several years ago I had the plain (non colored) calsi sand and did put a bit in their food dish for eating. No sense in wasting it, but WOW what an expensive calcium source. (I replied in another post about the crushed oyster shells, about $2 now for 15 oz. box)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

aries
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aries »

Ah, awsome Ladybug15057. I have been steadily reading. Still reading when I have time. Did the egg shells and they seem happy. I went ahead and threw my calci sand away, I have had it so long and just want to start fresh with everything.
1 PP Athena
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I do offer calci-sand about once a week (a tiny amount; that bag will last forever!) for my guys. I also have a whole egg shell (dried and microwaved to kill anything living on it) in one of the upper levels. At this point, it's just the two ends of the shell - everything else has been eaten.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.